Parents Back extension roll

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MomIdidit!

Proud Parent
How long is a girl supposed to hold the handstand in a back extension roll for the level 5 floor routine please?

In the illustrated routines, a hold is not indicated for the back extension roll. (I double checked that the handstand holds were indicated in the beam routines).

I have never seen more than a momentary pause of less than a second in the routine.

Thanks! So far so good.

One thing I'll add: I think it would be more effective if the back extension roll didn't have to hit handstand at all, but rather had to be above 45 degrees (or something in that neighborhood), with the emphasis on keeping a solid hollow position during the extension. This would be considerably more helpful for training giants.

Thanks! So far so good.

One thing I'll add: I think it would be more effective if the back extension roll didn't have to hit handstand at all, but rather had to be above 45 degrees (or something in that neighborhood), with the emphasis on keeping a solid hollow position during the extension. This would be considerably more helpful for training giants.
So somewhere in between the L3 back extension roll to push up (where they are deducted for even getting close to handstand) and the L4/L5 back extension roll to handstand :)
We had some L3 that were solid hollow to around 45º or higher in a few cases … they were better at the L4 BER when they moved up (and their floor scores in L4 were better than L3).

Reactions: sce
Yeah I mean at some point they have to learn a back extension...they shouldn't move up if they can't overlow around 45 or if they do move up you understand they're going to be weak. That said its playing with fire to go 45 above or higher in USAG level 3, I would not advise you to do that in the actual routine when competing. Training sure. For routine tell the kids "keep your arms straight and your toes close to the ground."

Yeah I mean at some point they have to learn a back extension...they shouldn't move up if they can't overlow around 45 or if they do move up you understand they're going to be weak. That said its playing with fire to go 45 above or higher in USAG level 3, I would not advise you to do that in the actual routine when competing. Training sure. For routine tell the kids "keep your arms straight and your toes close to the ground."
That is what we tell them... I tell them that I know it sounds crazy, but it is a deduction for going too high even though when they get to L4, they have to hit the handstand. :) Some can make the change for the routine... Others can't and take a deduction.

They don't need to hold the handstand, just hit it.

The reason is that the back extension roll is actually drill for bars; the reason it's included is to prepare kids for giants and freehips.
It's these tidbits that make it clearer and clearer why my daughter is doing L5.

Because the coaches say it will help her in the future with no specifics. Folks around here actually give me the "data" I need.

It's these tidbits that make it clearer and clearer why my daughter is doing L5.

Because the coaches say it will help her in the future with no specifics. Folks around here actually give me the "data" I need.
I pretty much said the same thing to my husband last night.

I've gained the reputation in our group as the mom who "knows stuff". Little do they know that I don't know anything... I just get the facts (and opinions) I need from the knowledgeable people here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back