Back Extensions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1. Is there a back extension in the Level 4 compulsory routine? If so, do you have to go all the way up into a handstand or just into the pushup position?

2. When doing my back extension, my coaches say I begin to push into my handstand at the right time {I usually don't do straight-arm back extensions} but I'm not strong enough to go all the way up into my handstand. What are some good exercises--besides pushups--that will strenghten my arms? I currently do some push-ups every day but they get boring after a while.

Thanks!

1. There is no back extension until L5. In L4, it is a straight-arm backward roll to end in a pushup position.

Well you have to do a back extension roll in Level 5 and Level 6, and it will be severely deducted if you don't do it with straight arms. I would suggested doing it with your hands turned in (fingertips facing eachother) and squeezing all your fingers together. To get stronger, start doing back pike rolls with arms completely straight, then start landing with your feet on a higher and higher surface until you are doing it all the way up to handstand. Also, do handstand shoulder shrugs (shrugging shoulders up and down with straight elbows like a "block") against the wall or with someone holding your legs.

You can do straight arm backward rolls down a wedge. Shoot your feet up higher and higher and eventually you'll hit handstand. You can also practice straight arm rolls down a lower wedge, or put a mat over a beatboard to create a slight slope. It is much harder to do on the flat, that's for sure. I can't see much point in doing them with bent arms and then trying to push up into handstand. It is more like you have to lift your body right over the top, as if you are going into a candlestick and then just keep going up.

There is no back extension roll in level 4, however there is a straight-arm backwards roll landing in a push up position. Doing a straight-arm back extension should be easier than pushing up with your arms bent (it does not involve as much strength and you will not land on your hair if it is long). If you compete, you will have to do it straight-arm anyway.
Doing handstand push-ups will help a lot more than regular push-ups but it is unnecessary because you should be doing straight-arm instead.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back