Back f rom 2nd meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Well..let me just say this one was interesting. BIG difference in how it was ran. Not bad, just different. They actually had two gyms set up. The stretch and practice gym, then the competition gym. Each team competed on each event, then left to go back to the "practice gym" while the 2nd flight came in and competed. 1st meet we went to had one gym set up for everything. Only issue with donig it the way they did this time was. They were done "practicing" way before the current flight was done. So they sat around for a good 10 mins between practicing and competeing. Def had its good points..and one that kinda threw a wrench in things. But over all..it went pretty smooth.
Kadee did pretty good. All her scores were lower than her last meet. The judging was tougher. All the girls were getting much lower scores, not just Kadee. So I am by NO MEANS saying she got robbed.
There were 42 L2s all together. They broke them down into 5 yr olds (8), 6Ayr olds (7) 6B yr olds (7) 7 yr olds (9) 8/9 yr olds (6) 10/11 (5)
They broke them down this way because, I believe, this way each child got a metal of some kind for each event. The last meet there were 22 L2s in Kadees "age group" (5-6 yr olds) and they only gave ribbons to the top 8..so girls were left out. This meet they also gave metals to the top 8 (except 7 yr olds had 9 metals placeings) but they broke the groups down so small...every girl metaled every time. Pretty cool. Esp for the little ones. Made them all feel special, NO ONE felt left out.
So on to Miss Kadee. She had a good meet. But a bit rougher for her. Dont know if it was the different set up, the fact we traveled 2 hrs vrs across town or what.
First event was vault. I missed the video on this one. She did pretty good. Not much to say about L2 vault other than they did good or not..lol
Second was bars. As far as the routine went she actually did better than the first meet. Still had a little trouble getting the back hip circle all the way around, hung upside down for a split second, but got it over without a spot. All for all, the bar part was better, But on her dismount when she hit the floor her right foot slipped and she kinda did a 1/4 turn and her hand and knee touched the mat. (several girls from all teams, all ages had trouble slipping when landing dismounts, so makes me wonder if some of it wasnt the mat being on the slick side.)
Third was beam. This one shook me a bit. She mounted the beam facing the right way this time..lol. But her right hand slipped and she stared going rear over tea kettle off the other side of the beam. She was able to spin around some how and grab the beam with the same right hand that slipped off, but spun under the beam, and banged her left forearm on the support bar. She has a pretty little bruise and scrape now. Her HC tried to catch her but was on the other side of the beam than she fell off of. If she hadnt gotten hurt it would have been comical watching her 40 something coach hurdle that beam like a professional track star trying to get to her..lol. Her HC disconnected her from the beam, she was hanging on the underside of it for dear life, and told her she didnt have to do her beam if she didnt want to (this was after looking at her arm, rubbing it, giving it kisses..lol). Told her all she had to do was stand up salute the judge again and walk off. She told her she didnt want her doing it if she was too hurt or scared. Kadee told her she wanted to do it. So she got back up there and kinda nursed her way through it. You could tell she was a little more hesitant than normal. Later she told me she wasnt scared, it was just that she was rattled and had to actually "think" about what she was doing instead of just get up there and do it.
Last was floor. She got her backwards roll the first time this time. But she rolled out of her headstand. She felt herself going too far and just rolled out. She says she forgot one of her leaps, but Im not sure which it was considering the only really do one, and she did a good one. Dunno.
Vault 9.0 1st
Bars 7.9 3rd place
Beam 7.0 6th place
Floor 6.8 6th place
AA 30.70 5th place
4th - 8th got copper metals. Sorry no other way to describe the color of them than, they looked like a new penny. LOL
All considering she had a pretty good meet score wise. And she had a blast. She LOVES all her metals. When we got home she said "whew, I have to take these things off, they are so heavy they are making my neck hurt".
I will see what I can do about posting the video. For some reason I just couldnt get it together to get this one taped. I didnt get the vault. I spazzed out on the beam when she fell and almost forgot to film it when she got back on. I didnt get any of the score board. All the event scores were on the same board and it would flash so quick then it was gone. This was just more than my simple brain could handle.
Anyway, thank you all who sent the applause faires for her. She loves it when "everyone claps for her" (diva..thats all I can say..diva. LOL) The way everyone clapped for her once she resufaced from under the beam, she might go for things like that more often. LOL
Sorry this is so long as usual. This is only her second meet so its all so new to us. I just can not get over the difference in how things are done from meet to meet. I do have to say, the idea of giving every single girl a metal (even if it was copper..lol) on every single event was pretty cool. And made all of them feel very special.
But this getting back at 12:30 am is for the birds. Luckely the kids have 2 days to rest up before they head back to school.

Last edited:
WOOHOO GO KADEE!! wow never heard of that setup. 11 year olds doing level 2 now that makes me happy haha i never see older gymnasts in lower levels. maybe they cleaned the mat just before the meet with water and soap so it was still not properly dried? same for beam? anyway haha shes a lil ninja with that beam haha and to get back on wow im proud. ahha the coach i could just see that bahahhaha and then the coach presents LOL. can't wait for the vid and kadee you did so well a 9.0 on vault you should be very proud. :D hugs and kisses :)

Awww, sorry she took a fall and got hurt, but what a trooper she was to get back on that beam! We are not competing yet, so I can't comment on the setup, but I do think it is great that all of the girls got medals.

Can't wait to see video! Good job Kadee!

Even with the fall (which they all seems to do at some point) Seh did Awsome!!

We have been in a set up like that before. Like you said it's just different. I've also seen the set up where there is 2 of everything except floor and flight A will compete on one set and Flight B will be on the other set. And on the floor the first person is from Flight A and the 2nd person is from flight and so on. It's like 2 meets going on at the same time. That is interesting to watch but can become confusing if you don't pay attention.

Glad to hear Kadee had a good meet and that she had the determination to get back on the beam. That had to be scary for her--or maybe more for you. You will see that every gym meet is run differently. At some, the girls will warm up all events and then rotate and compete all events. At others, they will warm up and then compete an event before moving on to the next one. A few gyms have warm ups in another area, it really depends on the space available. Most of the meets in AR will give all the girls a ribbon/medal/trophey or whatever their prizes are, expecially at the lower levels-2, 3, and 4. They work so hard and it's hard when they don't hear their name called--especially for the little ones. AB really doesn't care how she places, she just likes to get a variety of ribbon colors. I sometimes think that it gets crazy to place girls out so many places, but it matters to AB, so I'm glad they do. Oh and I couldn't tell you how many "cooper" medal KJ has in the attic.

The setup you described is pretty common at big optional meets. Honestly, I don't know why coaches would take very young and inexperienced kids to such a big meet. Usually at a meet with the seperate warm up gym, the girls are L7 and up and older---they know how to handle it. I know my gymmie loves this set up(coaches like it too). They can get the jitters out in the warm up gym without parents and friends watching. Usually I've seen them give the girls a 30 second warm up in the competitive gym, but they may not for L2. Nice everyone got some bling.
Good job for Kadee. Sounds like she's having lots of fun.

Great job Kadee! So sorry that she had a fall on beam but I love that she wanted to get back up there and finish. That's awesome! And I love that everyone got medals. Honestly, I think that as young as a lot of the kids are at Levels 1-3, they should always give medals to each child. I'm glad that this meet had planned to do that. She did great!! :)

Way to go Kadee!

As a mom, I love it when all the girls get recognized- especially at the lower levels of competition. It is a new experience for them and they should be recognized for all of their hard work just to get to the meet, let alone actually competing in front of an audience (which doesn't seem like a problem for your dd).
icon7.png

Thank you everyone she had a blast. Thats all that really matters. She loves getting out in front of everyone and showing them what she can do. Even if she does mess up. Thats how they become experienced i guess..lol. This part of the meet was geared towards the little ones. Nothing really high pressure about it. The reason it was set up the way it was because of the venue they had. They had to sperate basketball courts. So they didnt have enough room to put two of everything but floor in the competition gym. It worked out...just made things interesting. For me anyway..lol. I posted the link to her video in the video section. Again thanks everyone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back