Back fracture/stress fracture recovery

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m currently in Xcel silver and I was planning to move up to gold the next season. But, during regionals my back, which had been bugging me all year, hurt so bad that I could barely walk. I pushed through regionals, the whole time holding back tears. This was the only meet all season that I didn’t place at. I went to the doctor and turns out, I had a stress fracture in my lower back. Which, is actually pretty common with gymnasts. They think that because I had a major growth spurt that I outgrew my strength, so my back compensated for lack of strength.

I have clinical depression so this was really hard for me because gymnastics is my life. It’s the thing I look forward to and my passion. It was terrible for me in the first through weeks where I couldn’t do anything, no running, skateboarding or biking either. I was so happy when my physical therapist said I could do cartwheels and handstands.

During this time, I rediscovered my love for swimming. Swimming was my saving grace because I didn’t have to be cooped up in the house doing nothing.

Fast forward three months, I’m now back on the path to full recovery. I’ve gone through months of pt and I’m now back to gymnastics partially. Right now I’m doing quarter on quarter offs over a pit mat, round offs on floor, front tucks on tumble track, full beam routines (handstand, half turn, split jump, handstand dismount.) and a lot more.
I learned the silver routines but I am planning to move up to gold if my back is better and I get my skills up during the competition season. I have an estimated 1-2 months until I’ll be back fully.

I was close to giving up, but I, so glad I didn’t. I just wanted to post some of my journey to encourage others that might be going through this. Work hard, don’t push though pain, go slow, and do your pt. That’s my advice;)

I am actually having the same problem. I am Xcel Silver because I currently have 3 stress fractures in my legs so I can't go any higher. I have been dealing with this for over 2 years now, and the doctors aren't sure why. I am finally on the right track they say, but I still have pain in my legs... probably just phantom pains, but this was really encouraging.

This thread is almost three months old. Unless you are the original poster let’s try not to post on old, dead threads.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back