Parents Back from camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym law mom

Proud Parent
Well, went and met gymmie at the airport last night as she and her group came back from Lake Owen. 1st thing she asked after a very brief hug was "when can you sign me up for next year and can I go for 2 weeks then?" Ok, so the positives and negatives, I'm listing are basically hers. Overall, they had a wonderful time----this was her 1st ever gym camp and longest she's been away from home.

Negatives: mattresses were like "sleeping on rocks"(having her own sleeping bag helped some), way too many bug bites(the poor kid is covered and did use bug spray!), "cheerleaders were just plain annoying"

Positives: food was great and lots of it, gyms and equipment 1st rate, Annia Hatch and hubby as the "celebs of the week", got help on ANYTHING(within reason) she wanted to work on, coaches---John and Cheryl were her favs, but all coaches were really good, all the fun stuff to do when not in the gym.

Now, she did really make some progress on skills. All skills are spotted(except for stuff they expect you to know) and they usually had 2 spotters for vault at the beginning of the week, but did drop to 1 toward the end depending on the girl.

So----this is what she was doing(with spots).
Double backs on tramp--landed on her feet.
Double twists from tumble track to pit.
Baile(?sp) on REAL BARS---she was really excited about that!
Switch leap-sisscone on high beam(was in her floor routine last season)---this was her idea and 1 coach worked with her on putting them together. Apparently it was a big hit as a leap/jump combo and few other girls decided to give it a try.
BHS series on low beam w/Annia's help on hand placement
Yurchenko on REAL VAULT TABLE into the pit.
Tuck tsuk on REAL VAULT TABLE into the pit.

So, she sure had a great time. Going out for Calamine Lotion to decrease the itching of the bug bites!!!! Her team coach didn't go, so I hope she set some time aside at the first few practices this week to hear camp stories and help with all they learned!

Can you ask your DD when and how the girls are separated into their training groups? DD will be there week 8 with her team, there are 4 level 4's going and as of now DD is the only one that can do all the level 4 skills herself. I am hoping that she will still be grouped with her teamates.

Also how much time did your DD spend in "real clothes" not just her leo and/or warm ups.

Thanks,

Barb

Sounds like a good week at camp, I cant wait till my girls get to go to Camp
dh thinks they should do other things other than gymnastics (other than the 2 nights they go)

Barb-
This is what she told me about the skills testing. Is was done after check in on Sunday. They give the girls a form to fill out with skills listed for the level you put down on their application---so my gymmie got a form for L7 training L8. They probably have staff there helping the younger ones fill out the forms. She said it only had 4 skills on her sheet---giant to flyaway, layout, 1/2 or full twist and 1 other. They go to stations and do the skills and the coach either checks off they can do it(and also gives a score) or crosses it out and has the gymnast do something easier if they struggled with the skill. She said once she was done, she just left and came back on Monday am and was in the L7 training L8 group. Several girls on her team that had done the L6/7 season were actually in the L6 training L7 group. Are any of dd's coaches going? That seems to help alot with clarification of what this girl can do and what that one is having trouble with---that coach could also ask that the girls be kept together unless she sees, that for your dd, it wouldn't be much of a challenge for the week.

As for wearing regular clothes---didn't sound like very often. Of course, she had practice 2x/day. Sounds like they put on shorts/jeans in the afternoon if they weren't going to do anything in the lake and maybe in the evening---also wore shorts or whatever to meals, but heck you can get by with the same pair for multiple meals!

Thanks for the info, DD coaches will be there, so I am sure that will be a help. I will also be there as the camp nurse for the week.

Barb

Hey Barb---I'm thinking of doing the camp nurse thing next year, so let me know how it goes. Gymmie said the camp nurses didn't get alot of time to come watch at the gym--they are supposed to stay close to the Health Hut. She did clarify the skills testing. Each event has skills ranked in order of difficulty from 1-10. The gymnast circles for ex. the vault she can do(can't pick something you are doing with a spot) and then the coach checks that you can do it or picks the next lowest one to do. Probably not that big an issue with L4s(but great the coach will be there), but for the optionals, they have point totals they must get in order to train in a certain group. So, to train in the L8 group she had to come up with skills that total 34(out of a possible 40). They're not sure how 2 girls ended up with totals of 32 and were put in training L7----she said they spent time doing just about everything the L8 group did anyway.

Sounds like your DD had a really great time. :D

My DD is doing the Twistars camp this week. Today was the first day and she had a blast... but it is certainly a "work" camp. Great that they can make the work fun:).

My DD Loves Owen, She has been in group 2 for the past 2 years. She is bummed this year because they are not going until August. But she is already doing some Online Shopping for camp.

I am glad she had such a great time! It is such a positive experience for the kids.

We are at Lake Owen now. Annia and Alan Hatch were here again this week I think they were leaving today. Im glad your dd enjoyed it GLM. My Dd has been working kips and did one last night with no spot:cool: Most of the girls have been wearing their leos with the shorts and a tee shirt over them all day. It has been cold here in the mornings so we have needed a jacket some of the time. And yeah the mosquitos are even in the gyms:( The noise from the skaters was pretty irritating the first few nights since they dont go to bed as early as the gymnasts. And your dd is right about the gymnasts not being impressed with the cheerleaders.:p Well I better head down and meet dd for dinner.:wave:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back