Back from Capital Cup

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

WOW!! It was a very tough meet. there were 2 teams there that were so far above everyone else. Made me think these teams should have moved these girls up 2 years ago. They were the only teams really getting any 9.0 and above.

The judging was really really really tough. No points were given away that's for sure. you know how it is you can usually figure out a range of what a routine was going to get but not here - all the parents in my gym had open mouths as scores were posted not being able to figure out what the heck the deductions were for. Oh well the girls had a good weekend in DC just the same even though they were disapointed in their scores.

My DD did ok she placed 3rd on bars with an 8.35 - yes that low score was 3rd - that lets you know how hard the scoring was. Over all she came in 8th with a 33.20 again a score that would never have placed at any other meet I've been to.

Anyway DD loved staying an extra few days to see the DC sites. She loves museums etc but her favorite was going to Georgetown Cupcakes!! Yup the cupcake place from TLC's DC Cupcakes!! MMMMMM They were great but very expensive cupcakes at about $4 each!! She loves that show and it was like seeing the holy grail for her.

Over all a great trip.

Glad to hear it was a good meet. I don't mind low scores - as long as the judges are scoring everyone low. sometimes it seems they are out to get a particular gym (probably not though) and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it. but if they are consistent in their tough judging then it doesn't bother me. At our meet this weekend, the scores on bars were incredibly low, with many of our girls getting 6's and 7's. painful to watch. But then after we went, I started watching bars to see if it was just us, or everyone. It appeared they were scoring everyone tough, so I didn't let it bother me as much. DC is fun, it is worth it to splurge on something like a $4 cupcake when it clearly means so much to someone.

Cher, what session were you guys in? We were there in the 8 am Saturday session and the two top teams were really good - one of them also has a ton of gymnasts. My dd actually had a good meet except for vault. She won bars with a 9.65, which is her highest score this year on any event, 2nd on beam and was 5th in the youngest age group. I did think floor scores seemed on the low side and vault was weirdly scored too. Maybe we were in a different session from you. Congrats to your dd on her bars placement! Glad you had fun in DC. Our poor Level 8 team had cars broken into at the restaurant they were eating at, had grips and leos stolen! Definitely a scary experience for them. If we go again, we will definitely stay a little further out.

One of those teams you're talking about doesn't hold kids back- they just train ridiculously hard. They want champions and they weed kids out- send them to the "not usag" league if they're too old or not going to be champions.

At least we had decent weather for the beginning of the weekend : )

We've been to lots of meets at that venue- never had cars broken into or leos and grips stolen but have always had notoriously bad service in the close vicinity. That Cap Ctr Blvd has a reputation though!

Congrats to both your DDs for doing so well at such a tough meet!

One of those teams you're talking about doesn't hold kids back- they just train ridiculously hard. They want champions and they weed kids out- send them to the "not usag" league if they're too old or not going to be champions.

At least we had decent weather for the beginning of the weekend : )

We've been to lots of meets at that venue- never had cars broken into or leos and grips stolen but have always had notoriously bad service in the close vicinity. That Cap Ctr Blvd has a reputation though!

Congrats to both your DDs for doing so well at such a tough meet!

Thanks! If it was our session, I don't think either of the top teams hold back. The top team had quite young Level 7s and the second team just is a very big team. Our team was third, though quite a bit behind the top two. We have only 7 girls so we felt pretty good about how we did given the scoring.

Unfortunately, one of the girls who had her grips stolen was a Level 9 due to compete the next morning. She wound up having to scratch bars because she did not feel comfortable in borrowed grips.

Hmm, yeah I don't think those teams are known for holding girls back. The top team in that session is a fairly new gym I think, but the owner/HC is very knowledgeable. It actually seems like they're moving the girls pretty fast, with fairly young, new 7s who only did partial seasons of L5 or 6. The other gym is VA, and they have a large team, with a fair amount of fast track girls. Training a little more than average. Tend to have standout choreography - they have a choreographer in the gym who does fantastic work. Wouldn't say they particularly hold back either. So, I guess my analysis is pretty much what Megley said. :)

The quality of gymnastics in MD is great. A lot of the best teams in MD weren't at that meet, but our Region Technical Coordinator is in MD, and the judging standards are more stringent than anywhere else in R7 (and probably among the toughest in the country). But, there are also quite a few teams with very impressive routines, not just in terms of skills but in terms of performance, extension, amplitude, technique, etc. Although MD and PA are bigger, MD does very well in R7.

Cher, what session were you guys in? We were there in the 8 am Saturday session and the two top teams were really good - one of them also has a ton of gymnasts. My dd actually had a good meet except for vault. She won bars with a 9.65, which is her highest score this year on any event, 2nd on beam and was 5th in the youngest age group. I did think floor scores seemed on the low side and vault was weirdly scored too. Maybe we were in a different session from you. Congrats to your dd on her bars placement! Glad you had fun in DC. Our poor Level 8 team had cars broken into at the restaurant they were eating at, had grips and leos stolen! Definitely a scary experience for them. If we go again, we will definitely stay a little further out.

We were in the 8am session too on Sat. DD was in the Sr - A group. ( I think that was 13 and 14 yo) Yup the top 2 teams were something to watch that's for sure.

Thanks! If it was our session, I don't think either of the top teams hold back. The top team had quite young Level 7s and the second team just is a very big team. Our team was third, though quite a bit behind the top two. We have only 7 girls so we felt pretty good about how we did given the scoring.

Unfortunately, one of the girls who had her grips stolen was a Level 9 due to compete the next morning. She wound up having to scratch bars because she did not feel comfortable in borrowed grips.

Our L7 team is very small with only 4 girls so it's hard to compete against the bigger teams for team placement. Your team did awsome at the meet.

Thanks Cher! We were the girls in the black leos with the purple/gold star. Oddly, our team was split into two groups - not sure why with only 7 girls. We are having a decent season as a team, but last year's Level 7 team won State and was a powerhouse so we are not doing as well as last year. It is not easy to do as well when you have only a few girls and don't have the depth across all age groups.

I loved those leos!! Our team moms sitting in the bleachers all commented on them. It is hard with only a few girls.

Right on gymdog. That MD team represented Md in the National Judge's Cup a few months ago in AZ. Owner is a former gymnast from China and a brevet level judge.

So sorry to hear about the level 9 's grips! DD always brings a spare but in the same gym bag so if your bag is stolen, still out of luck!

Yeah, a total bummer and I don't blame her for not wanting to compete bars with someone else's grips. She does two release moves and needs to feel 100% competent. L9 team still took 3rd with 3 girls and only 2 bars scores.

Sorry to hear it was tough judging, and maybe a little inconsistently so. Very frustrating.

Sounds like it was quite a session to watch, though.

Glad you were able to have some extra time in DC. One of my favorite "wander" cities!

So glad you and dd had a great time in DC and that she came away with some hardware from the meet, seems like that was a tough thing to do! I competed for a gym in Maryland once upon a time and Maryland judging was tough back then, it's just something most gyms learn to accept. But like others have said, they also have some spectacular gyms in that area. But it sounds like your gym really held its own.
DC is such a fun place, I hope the weather was okay. I think you hit at a good time of the year though, not a place you want to be in mid-summer! I want to check out Georgetown Cupcakes in the worst way! Hope you guys got to enjoy some of the other great food offerings available in DC and hit all of the best sites. It's definitely a place you can go over and over again.

Molly I would love to go back to DC we didn't even get to see 1/2 of what we wanted in the 2 days we had to look around. DD loved the trip and she would go back again just for the cupcakes LOL. We had one day that was good weather one day of rain. The rain day we did the museums and the Indoor stuff but we still got wet doing the trolly hop on hop off tours. Waiting for the bus to come in the rain stunk but over all DD did have a great time. (me too) She loved the idea of a just her and I trip too. At 13 she still wants me and to do things with me ( that probably won't last much longer as she starts high school next year).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back