Parents Back hand spring help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
Older dd is still in preteam anyhow I think her main thing she needs to get to move up is the backhanspring!

What are things she can do at home to help her for getting it?

(not nec working on the actual thing at home~ Too paranoid mom for her to do it with no spot till she has it down)
younger dd has hers allready

im thinking that after this season if she doesnt have it yet she will be put back to classes and that would break her heart but after 2 seasons in preteam I have to say its fair!

what can she do to help?

Older dd is still in preteam anyhow I think her main thing she needs to get to move up is the backhanspring!

What are things she can do at home to help her for getting it?

(not nec working on the actual thing at home~ Too paranoid mom for her to do it with no spot till she has it down)
younger dd has hers allready

im thinking that after this season if she doesnt have it yet she will be put back to classes and that would break her heart but after 2 seasons in preteam I have to say its fair!

what can she do to help?
blocking drills.... if she doesn't get her hands off the floor fast enough..... she could go to a hanstand and pop off the floor but if she doesn't get that high o the floor thats ok just pop a little and if she does it right then her shoulders will ge sore, even if they aren't that high off the floor.

and if that doesn't help then can you specify to me what part of the backhandspring the coach says is wrong? thanks! :)
~~~SoBeGyMcHiC~~~

Does her gym offer a back handspring class? Can she do a private lesson with a coach to JUST work on her back handsprings? That is probably what I would do.

I am sure it has to be frustrating for her, especially with a little sister that is now on team. I would try hard to see if she can get her back handspring and also find out what their plan is with her. I am sending her the Back Handspring Fairy, Express mail. :D

Does her gym offer a back handspring class? Can she do a private lesson with a coach to JUST work on her back handsprings? That is probably what I would do.

I am sure it has to be frustrating for her, especially with a little sister that is now on team. I would try hard to see if she can get her back handspring and also find out what their plan is with her. I am sending her the Back Handspring Fairy, Express mail. :D
Aww thanks! she is such a good sport and is just as excited for her little sisters first meet as the rest of us are ,
That is why I want to help her in what way I can to get her to get that skill
she even seems to have the 1 skill younger dd has issues with (her dismount) anyhow thanks!

I think I am going to talk to her coach tonight to see what she thinks and maybe an extra lesson as a Christmas gift!

My DD had LOADS of trouble with this skill (still does sometimes!:eek:)

When she first moved to level 4, she was the last on the team to get the backhanspring. We did 3 private lessons and after the 3 lessons, she had it. She just needed a little 1 to 1 work!

I would definitely try a couple private lessons. It did the trick for us!

Thanks for your replies! its just bumms me out since I see her work so hard
I talked to her coach tonight and she suggested she work on strength and handstands (for strength too) soo I am gonna tell dd she should do pull ups etc each day to get more arm strength and all and I think we may just get her a Private lesson for Christmas

It does seem like the team coaches do not mind a child being enrolled in a tumbling program elsewhere so it does not hurt to ask. Is there a cheer gym near you? They may very well have a backhandspring only class. My WAG DD will be working out with my TnT DS this summer assuming it fits in her schedule.

Did you ask her coach? i am eager to help! Lets ALL send the backhandspring faries and hope it helps! :) Also... if you have mats of any kind... the she could stand on those and block back! hope this helps! happy thanksgiving!

Did you ask her coach? i am eager to help! Lets ALL send the backhandspring faries and hope it helps! :) Also... if you have mats of any kind... the she could stand on those and block back! hope this helps! happy thanksgiving!
Thank you all!!

We do have mats! what is block back tho? I know her coach suggested she work on Strength where she lacks but has all other skills .
I did bring up the PL thing tho and I think we may get her one or 2 for Christmas to get her a little boost! (I may even see if my friends dd can come to help but not sure when )

HS, lots of HS, free on the wall stomach or back.

Back bend and bridge kickover work. Bridge wall walks. Lots of leg lifts be they lying on your back, V-ups or hanging.

That's all I can recommend at home though you have to be careful with the back bend and bridge kickover/walkover stuff.

HS, lots of HS, free on the wall stomach or back.

Back bend and bridge kickover work. Bridge wall walks. Lots of leg lifts be they lying on your back, V-ups or hanging.

That's all I can recommend at home though you have to be careful with the back bend and bridge kickover/walkover stuff.

Thank you! she does have a noce walk over! I am cautios what I allow them to do at home! but I knew there was some things that could help;

Sounds like you got lots of good advice, so I'm just sending appropriate fairies your way.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back