WAG Back handspring fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MMgym

Gymnast
Ok first off I know there are lots of back handspring threads already but I couldn’t find any that are similar to my situation, so sorry if there is one somewhere! I am working on transferring my bhs from trampoline to aitrack and I just can’t make myself go for the skill.
A couple things to know:
1. I had a very consistent bhs on trampoline before I quit gym several years ago, but never got it without being heavily spotted on floor.
2. I have no choice but to train at home because of a busy schedule with school and covid concerns preventing me from starting gym right now.
3. My bhs is my most comfortable skill on the trampoline, much more comfortable and easy for me than my front handspring which I was able to try on the airtrack relatively quickly and without a lot of fear (I can do the front handspring fairly consistently now with a run and hurdle into it, I just sometimes land in a low squat because I can‘t flip my legs over fast enough).
4. On the trampoline, I can do standing bhs, standing back tuck, and a one bounce back layout and back pike, so going backwards/having power doesn’t seem to be my issue.

Does anyone have any drills or tips to make me more confident before throwing the bhs? I don’t want to try it until I am confident because I am afraid that I will bail in the air and then land on my head or something.
Thanks for any advice!!!

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but you should not try and get the back handspring at home, without the supervision of a coach.

I know it probably feels like you have it down really well, when doing it on the trampoline, which makes you feel like you are ready for floor, the only thing stopping you is fear.

BUT… the trampoline will often hide minor errors. The back handspring is quite a technical skill. If you have small errors, like issues with take off, arms, positions etc then your body will compensate in other ways. When you do the back handspring over and over again with those minor errors it will cause pressure on different parts of your body, that it isn’t supposed to have pressure. If you do this over and over again, it will cause stress injuries. These injuries that build up slowly over time, are very difficult and slow to heal.

If you have a coach watching you closely they can correct errors before they cause these traumas.

It is also very easy for bad habits to creep in, again if you practice this over and over again without a coach watching closely. You will get really good at those bad habits. Once your have become really good at bad habits, they are almost impossible to break. Making it really hard to take your back handspring to the next stage ever.

And of course that is the best case scenario. Worst case scenario, is that you will land badly and cause a serious injury. Remember that in a back handspring you are jumping backwards towards your head and neck. It’s not something to just try at home and see how you go.

I know it can be frustrating when you can’t get to a gym, and you really want to learn the skill, but in the long run you will be better off waiting until you can get to one.

Ok first off I know there are lots of back handspring threads already but I couldn’t find any that are similar to my situation, so sorry if there is one somewhere! I am working on transferring my bhs from trampoline to aitrack and I just can’t make myself go for the skill.
A couple things to know:
1. I had a very consistent bhs on trampoline before I quit gym several years ago, but never got it without being heavily spotted on floor.
2. I have no choice but to train at home because of a busy schedule with school and covid concerns preventing me from starting gym right now.
3. My bhs is my most comfortable skill on the trampoline, much more comfortable and easy for me than my front handspring which I was able to try on the airtrack relatively quickly and without a lot of fear (I can do the front handspring fairly consistently now with a run and hurdle into it, I just sometimes land in a low squat because I can‘t flip my legs over fast enough).
4. On the trampoline, I can do standing bhs, standing back tuck, and a one bounce back layout and back pike, so going backwards/having power doesn’t seem to be my issue.

Does anyone have any drills or tips to make me more confident before throwing the bhs? I don’t want to try it until I am confident because I am afraid that I will bail in the air and then land on my head or something.
Thanks for any advice!!!
Work on shoulder flexibility, keep your arms straight and get the push from the shoulders. squeeze your ears with your shoulders, to push from floor. can't fall on your head if your arms are straight , right? good luck

I wouldnt work on it at home but my dauters coach told her to work on shoulder flexibility and handstand pops with locked arms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back