Parents Back handspring fear!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so, I have want my daughter to get her back handspring back handspring super duper bad and so does she because that’s the skill you need to learn for a lot of tumbling skills and to get power and she does cheer and she tried out for the team for 7th grade and we’re afraid she might not make it next year or in high school if she doesn’t learn her back handspring so let’s get on with it so she’s got it all down she’s done all the drill multiple times and she has gone to a great gym and has been spotted and Almost has it she doesn’t want to do it on the trampoline because she doesn’t want to get used to the bounce and not do it on the floor but she almost has it we’re her couch she gets privates but she is too scared to do it by herself she’s scared to through it back and she need something that will get her to throw it and land it with out being scared and hurting herself thank you please help we’ve done everything thank you!

Ok so, I have want my daughter to get her back handspring back handspring super duper bad and so does she because that’s the skill you need to learn for a lot of tumbling skills and to get power and she does cheer and she tried out for the team for 7th grade and we’re afraid she might not make it next year or in high school if she doesn’t learn her back handspring so let’s get on with it so she’s got it all down she’s done all the drill multiple times and she has gone to a great gym and has been spotted and Almost has it she doesn’t want to do it on the trampoline because she doesn’t want to get used to the bounce and not do it on the floor but she almost has it we’re her couch she gets privates but she is too scared to do it by herself she’s scared to through it back and she need something that will get her to throw it and land it with out being scared and hurting herself thank you please help we’ve done everything thank you!
I really tried to read this but the lack of punctuation -- I just couldn't follow. How is her single BHS? Can she do it perfectly on a tumbltrak? If not, the double isn't even feasible. If so, I think time on task is the only way to go.

FYI my daughter got her double BHS at "get air" which has incredibly bouncy trampolines. The extra time in the air helped her to figure out her body position and then she could do it on the floor.

I think she should use the trampoline. It will build her confidence. That was one really long sentence, by the way! The tramp won't ruin it on the floor. It will be helpful.

Mental blocks are challenging. I ended my own gymnastic career because I couldn't get over the mental block on the back handspring. I could do it on tramp, I could do it with the coach just standing there, but I couldn't make my brain believe I could do it on my own.

These blocks can come and go. My kid was doing amazing back tumbling at the age of 9 and then all of a sudden lost all of it mid Level 6 season. It took heartache and a lot of work to get it back. A lot of mental work and a lot of support from the coaches. She's gone to Regionals twice now and is striving for Level 8. The whole journey is a process.

Let it be. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, focus on front tumbling or other positive skills they can do. The important thing is to support the process and not fret over what they are not doing.

Getting a BHS BHS is about time and patience.

At our gym, coaches won't allow any gymnast to do a BHS BHS on floor until they are connecting well on a Tumble Trak. They prefer the TT b/c it enables more repetitions that aren't as hard hitting as the floor. They use a progression
1) TT into pit
2) TT complete series
3) floor + mat (with spot if needed)
4) floor only

Our gymnasts do that progression for just about every skill. Their goal is to learn the form then transition to floor with good form. The power will come with repetition and time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back