Parents Back handspring progress

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

hello all,

Olivia attempted her first back handspring without a spot at gym the other day. The head coach asked her to do it alone on a cheese mat. She was so nervous but the team girls encouraged her and she did it. Obviously she came home excited and wanted to show dad. I recorded it of course. It still comes and goes but not bad for doing her first ever with a spot about 3 weeks ago.

here is the clip of her on the trampoline doing bhs. The first two look painful but she finds her groove and the last three are much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRFygvMhLw8

great job olivia! i am NOT showing abby that video. she will go on and on how it isn't fair that i won't get her a trampoline. LOL.

great job olivia! i am NOT showing abby that video. she will go on and on how it isn't fair that i won't get her a trampoline. LOL.

LOL that's funny! I too was a little skeptic about purchasing a trampoline but dd asked Santa directly for it so.....Santa brought it. It's really big so I don't have to worry too much about falling off. We've also set ground rules for trampoline.

Now my dd wants a beam bad!! She uses the cracks on the tile floor to do cartwheels and side handstands. lol.....maybe in the summer.

Children are funny! I am especially enjoying this age. Five years olds are funny little people because there perspective is so fresh and innocent.

Thanks you all for all the nice comments.

DD asked Santa for one as well, when she was 4 1/2 and I told her that he had emailed me and told me how dangerous they were. LOL. I am bad, I know.

We made her a beam. It is in her room. She doesn't practice much on it yet. I think she will once she starts learning the routines. But, she won't let me take it out of her room.

5 year olds are fun and challenging. Mine keeps me on my toes!

thats great! we have a tramp but I will not let my kids do things like that on there! I was told its bad on there necks or something! is that true???
I am probably too picky

thats great! we have a tramp but I will not let my kids do things like that on there! I was told its bad on there necks or something! is that true???
I am probably too picky

Yeah I agree. I really don't allow her to practice bhs at home....coaches said something about developing bad habits and it's more difficult to correct bad form than to teach correct from the beginning.

I just really wanted a clip of her doing it solo. I can be picky too!

You should see what my girls do on their tramp:eek: Ours is a springfree with a net all around, they cannot fall off.

We have a stack of rules too, including no skills that they can't do in gym. One at a time, no one under or on the outside of the net.

They do flicks, back tucks, front tucks both standing and with a jump, aerials, back extensions, bigger Bog does half's and fulls. They are 9 and almost 12 at this point so they have a lot of gym under their belts, and they know they can only jump when I am there and only do what they can do well. I will also not let them use bad form as bad habits are easily learned, but very hard to break.

Tramps are very dangerous for sure, but so are many toys we give our kids, bikes, rollerblades to name a few. With the right set of rules and good supervision the risks can be lowered enough to have some fun.

I am very uptight about safety, my 9 year old still has a booster seat in the car and my almost 12 year old has never ridden in the front seat of the car.

By the way Olivia is cute as a button. A net would be a great add on to your tramp, as she gets older and bigger and heavier she will travel a lot and quickly, the net has saved many kids from very bad falls. JMHO:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back