Back handsprings - pulled back muscle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

X

Xero

Hey all, I've recently just started doing acro type stuff at a gymnasium where there's no structured style of learning. Basically people turn up and can use the room and equipment to practice their stuff.

I started perhaps about 12 weeks ago and can now do back and front somersaults (in the air) and back and front handsprings. The only problem is that whenever I practice my handsprings I tend to pull a back muscle at the lower part of my middle back and the vertabrae next to it also feels a little bruised (not sure if this is just because of the muscle or not). A couple of people have mentioned that I'm putting a bit too much height in my back handsprings and not enough lateral movement. I'm wondering if this could be contributing to this injury?
Also can someone recommend the best way to treat this injury and stop it from happening again? Perhaps by doing some sort of back exercises or something?

I'm 28 year old guy (yeah I know it's frowned upon for someone to start gymnastics at my age but I really enjoy it).

Any feedback would be helpful!

Thanks!

You're right, you're probably putting too much height on your backhandspring. Remember they need to be long. We use Biofreeze for our injuries at our gym. If i was you I would definitely look into purchasing some. It soothes the pain. Any other questions I'll be glad to help!

Ok thanks a lot TNT, I'll work on improving my back handsprings.
I take it that Biofreeze is just a cold spray or something?

Figured out what's causing it! I'm twisting slightly to the right as I'm going over backwards. Any tips on correcting this? I'll try anything really - don't tend to have much fear just very bad technique lol.

It would probably be a good idea to be properly warmed up prior to doing BHS work.

That means bridge wall walks, limbers, and handstands, etc

Foam roll your back, do some swinging on bars or rings and band pass thrus/dislocates.

We do quite an intensive warmup including bridges / handstands. I'll aim to do a little bit more just before trying the handsprings again through. Thanks for the advice! :)

Any ideas on the best way to correct my wonky handpsrings? :D

Posting some video would be far more helpful than just listing all the possible faults.

Xero
I work at a gym that has a group of guys who turn up and work vitually unassisted (no it is not us coaches either!) (late teen males) I often look over and shudder at what I see and think about what their bodies will be like when they are as old as I am now. If this is a new sport to you find a gym that has coaches who can watch & guide you to ensure you don't do damage that will come back to bite you later or worse!!

If this is the only convenient gym at least go occasionally further afield to get some pointers from a good coach. One error of judgement can be very dangerous BUT moreso repetition of poor technique could cause injury that (like my many sports injuries) don't worry you greatly now but later could hamper your easy rise from your bed each morning at age 50+. Cans of Ice Spray are not going to solve that problem.

Keep going though....it's a great sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back