Back Handsprings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I have been working back handsprings for a year or two now on beam, but just recently I have started working them more and been trying to get them by myself. I did it on the low beam by myself yesterday, but they are really ugly. I can do them on the floor perfectly, but when I try on beam my arms are bent, my coach tells me I don't jump high enough, the solution should be simple, but no matter how hard I try I still dont jump enough.
I can do them easily on a beam expander, and we work them up a cheese mat, onto a mat, up onto boxes. All of which I can successfully do by myself but not on them real beam!! Any tips?

it sounds like you are giving out when your hands hit the beam.. I did that too :D try keeping a good rhythym on your bhs and make sure you're tight, of course (esp. your arms!) hope this helps!! :)

Are you doing a bhs step out? if you are it is possible you are not splitting at the correct time which is making the impact harded. Some drills for that would be doing a bhs step out trying to land in a split handstand and try to balance.

i understand!
ive only been fliping on beam for a week, but they've come really easily to me with mats up to the bottom of the beam, then with a gap between the box and beam, then with only a little mat underneath.
however as soon as there isnt a mat i wont jump, my body just wont let me. and when i do i have the same problems.
what i do is get a wedge or two crash mats ontop of each other and flip onto that. it forces you to jump up.
litterally do thousands. i do them inbetween goes on vault and bars, as part of my floor programme. it litterally has made them so much higher! it becomes second nature to look for the mat/wedge adn jump high!
also think of the takeoff as a backtuck/ back salto, stretching up!
hope i helped a bit!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back