Back Hip Circle Problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, for the summer, our gym combines the pre-team for 9 and under with the pre-team for 9 and up.

This is an awful idea because the younger class is WAY less advanced. Most of them can't even do a backbend...

But the one thing that all of those little girls have is a back hipcircle.

I DON'T!!!

Here's my issue:

My coaches always told me that I "stopped" myself when my hips hit the bar after the cast into the back hipcircle, so I didn't have enough power to make it around.

I kept trying to NOT stop myself, but I couldn't!!!

So, I bent my arms one time and I didn't stop myself! But THEN they told me not to bend my arms.

Here's where it gets tricky.

If I bend my arms a lot, I can cast and go around the bar fine. BUT, as soon as I STRAIGHTEN my arms, I CAN'T MOVE.

Seriously. I can't move. I try to cast but I can only cast 2 inches from the bar. I can't "swing" around the bar; I feel stuck. If I bend my arms a LITTLE bit, I end up bending them a lot.

My coaches are really frustrated with me and they are constantly "yelling" {not really...um..."scolding" is better} me for not straightening my arms, and then if I straighten my arms, for not casting or for stopping myself after the cast.

None of my coaches believe me when I say I can't move with straight arms. None of my friends believe me, either. I have not encountered a problem like this before, and I have pretty good shoulder flexibility, if that means anything.

What do you think my problem is? I'm not scared, and nothing hurts, and I'm not trying to throw my head back...I'm just so confused...

Thanks in advance.

I would do a tucked or piked back hip circle. I would prefer the pike as I don't want to deal with bent knees.

If you can only cast 2 inches from the bar, you need to get a lot stronger. Bigger cast, more power. You don't need a very big cast to do a back hip circle, but it helps.

Lots of support strength. Dips, work dips. Work lower back strength. If you have weights do good mornings or back extensions with weights or reverse hypers ( similar to superman leg lifts where you lie on a block at your hips and lift your legs past horizontal ). If you also weights, do bench press or shoulder press. Find a weight you can do 5-8x and do that for 3 sets. For the back extensions, do 10 repetitions, preferably with weights.

Another good lower back exercise is leg lifts in a HeadStand. Tucked is easiest then, straddle then pike. Against a wall is easier than not.

Obviously L-sit and L-hang make your lower back strong as does V-ups and Leg lifts.

I can cast a lot farther from the bar {I usually can get to horizontal}, UNLESS I'm about to do my back hip circle with straight arms...maybe it's just a nervousness thing?

And thank you for all the strengthening suggestions! :D

Sounds like a nervousness thing. You don't need a cast to horizontal for BHC but you'll probably need to cast more than 2 inches off the bar. Maybe stop trying to think about making your arms straight as you seem to have a mental block on that. Think of pushing the bar down, and watch your feet come up.

For someone like you, I generally tie a gymnast to the bar with a piece of rope. I want to say it can handle 200lbs if I remember it's strength specifications. It works for me, just gotta make sure you cut it enough to have slack when tying yourself. Rope is kinda soft, maybe a cotton blend?

Anyways, this allows a gymnast to just do a zillion reps and focus on starting the circle with the hips to the bar and not dropping early like a clear hip. You can get a teeny cast while tied. I can actually tie myself to the bar but it's easier if you have someone do it for you.

From a support you run the rope alongside the back of your thighs underneath your butt cheeks and it goes under the bar and back around and ties at your lower back. You can also tie below your butt it doesn't really matter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back