Parents Back in the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Hey everyone! It’s been awhile since I made a post- I think my last ones were actually in the private groups that don’t exist anymore. Anyway, my daughter was out of gym since March 2nd (she went to one practice in June but didn’t feel it was safe so pulled back), so she was feeling ready to go back.

She was able to find two gyms that would take her (she had a hard time because she’s an adult now and we moved cross country away from her previous gym during quarantine) and she tried both this past week. Luckily one was a great fit for her, both in terms of how they’re approaching covid precautions and the coaching style m, and she officially started yesterday.

She’ll only be training two days a week for two hours each, but honestly her college club team only trained two days a week too, and only for a little over an hour each, plus she starts sophomore year of her college in a couple of weeks anyway. She was definitely rusty, that’s for sure. She was able to do her kips and clear hips and uprises, but the angles were low on the first two and she couldn’t do huge numbers of the third. She wasn’t ready to work bars dismounts. She tumbled on the tumble trak rather than the floor and did all her beam skills but not connected her series. She said she knows she’s not competing at all this year, so she’s gonna be easy on herself with coming back slowly. She hasn’t vaulted since February 28th, so there is definitely some apprehension there, but otherwise she’s just hoping they make it through a full session of lessons without having to close down.

She’s just happy to be there- the first four or five gyms she contacted said no flat-out, so she was starting to worry she was never doing gymnastics again. She’s training with a high school team, which she thought might be weird but it isn’t. The girls in her group are all around 2 years younger than her, so not the huge disparity that she was expecting. They don’t even (the gym) seem to mind the tattoos and hair color- something else she worried would be an issue (luckily they can’t see the piercing- ha!). They aren’t a USAG gym but again, she said that doesn’t matter at all- even if she were to be competing it would be naigc. This gym competes in the midwestern league, which we’ve never heard of before now.

Anyway, just wanted to catch up with people. We are loving Minnesota so far. It’s beautiful here. If I survive the winter I might want to stay forever! Ha ha ha! Here is a little of the beauty we’ve encountered here.

CB5F691F-F722-4BC0-A73F-AC79D0D3A6EF.jpeg

Sounds like a perfect fit! Of all the states I have called home throughout my childhood and adult life, the people in Minnesota were my favorite. Loved it there. Didn’t mind the winters as much as the bugs and humidity in the summers!

We haven’t minded the bugs and humidity, but honestly they haven’t seemed all that different from other places we’ve lived. The picture is real and even unedited except for cropping. It’s pretty magical here! She found out today that she can’t practice with the high school group once they start their season around thanksgiving, but that’s a problem for another day. For today she connected her series and is a happy lady.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back