Back Layout Drills/advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At my gym we are having a really hard time with out optional level gymnasts with back layouts. Every single one of them either throws their head or chest backwards instead of setting up. We constantly correct them and they know what they need to do, they just cant seem to get their bodys to do it. Does anyone have advice or useful drills?

:)thanks

steph

We do one drill but I'm not sure how well i will be able to explain it, let me know if you dont understand
Get a porta pit and another crash mat on top (might not need this if they are shorter) then put a big cheese mat on top.
Then get mini trampoline and put it so that it is the way you would have it if you were to do a front tuck up onto the mat (the higher end against the mat)
Have gymnast stand up on top of cheese mat, and they take a step down onto the mini trampoline, then with the rebound go back up onto mat landing in shoulder stand, and then roll down aften landing in position.

Hope this makes sense, if not just let me know.

Okay....So i think i get it. I understand how to set up the drill for sure. but they jump forward off the cheese mat and then do the motions for a layout BACK up onto the cheese correct?

Thank you so much! Even if i don't EXACTLY understand the drill it definitely sparked some new ideas!

Have they mastered the back pike and open tuck 90 degree angles in hips and knees?

For working what a layout should feel like I would spot hang lever to invert hang. Head forward as long as possible.

i do trampoline and tumbling and we first learnt layout on the trampoline, making sure we had good form then we learnt how to do them in tumbling and no one chucks them, this way means that they feel very natrul and also can help combat fear as it is a move that we all knew well

A drill we learned to use at our gym for girls who threw their heads back on a layout was to have them stand up straight with their backs against a wall

Then we tell them to press the back of their skull against the wall (like a chicken) and while they're standing there against the wall we tell them that instead of throwing their head back they should pull back instead.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back