Back Layout on Floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, so my daughter has been having trouble with her layout ever since she started training it. And because of that, she always get deducted. When she does her round-off back handspring layout, she ALWAYS pikes. She can never get it straight. She has tried many different techniques, and none of them seem to work. Any suggestions on how to get her layout on floor straight?! thanks for your time.

Its incredibly difficult to diagnose a problem without seeing it.

Generally, a pike down means there isn't enough room to complete the skill. This is either caused by slow rotation, or low rotation. She will either need to stand up more for the take-off, or stay tighter in her hollow for the flip.

Also, if she arches, you will almost always end in a pike.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Thank you. I will give her this information, and i hope she can try to fix it. I will describe her layout for you. She has this problem, that is, when going into her tucks and layouts, she doesn't put her arms up all the way(she always keeps her arms parallel to her shoulders), which causes her to stay in a more hollow position in the layout, and she can never straighten it. That is why the judges don't give her credit for the trick(because it is too piked, or in too much of a hollow position.)

If she is not completing her set, then most likely she is arching and piking.

If she has too much of a hollow early on and is not landing short, it might be a muscle memory problem, and she should do some body shaping drills to make her hollow more straight.

Again, video or pictures speak volumes more than descriptions...

Before you even added the second post my bet was pulling arms too early. It's a lack of stretch (or, well, incorrect set). I don't know about arched. I guess you could throw your head back but the whippy arch pikes you see tend to be a directional problem with the stretch and lack of conversion to straight (not strong enough). "completing a set" requires what I would call a "slight arch" (again, there can be directional errors or a lack of shape change to the straight hollow position...that's just step one).

All of these issues often imply some conditioning and shaping problems. I teach layouts having the kids start with their arms up in a stretch and then I turn them over and tell them no pull until their feet are to the ceiling. A bit late. Eventually when we work more from dynamic positions they will do it with no pull at all (but not a whip back).

I can't really give coaching advice online. If it's holding her back from progressing you should look into a private lesson.

Last edited:
thank you so much. I am sure that will help her. She just needed somebody else's advice on how to do it other than her coaches. Thanks again!

When she fixes the setting problem it also might help her to know that the layout position is easier to hit if you think about squeezing you butt.

She actually went to practice tonight, and said she did them the right way finally. She will tumble more tomorrow, and thank you to everyone for the great advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back