Coaches back leg in leaps and hip flexibility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jasmynn

Coach
Proud Parent
I have a few gymnasts that have trouble bending backwards in back walkovers because of hip flexibility and same thing with the back leg in leaps. What muscle needs stretching? I've looked up hip flexor stretches and its not the correct muscle.
Thanks

Try this........ Stand behind them while (staddling their back leg) they're in the split position, and lift them up slowly (about 1 foot) while they press both feet into the floor as if they were trying to slide them toward each other. Then lower them down until they're holding their split position, and then lift up again....repeat 10 repetitions.

Once done.....
Let them slide as low as they can, into their split, without any pain. I'll bet you they get lower than they have when somebody pushes them down.

Do it every other day with half the kids, and the alternate days fo the other half of the kids. Teach them how to lift a partner and they can pair up and do it every day...... left, right, and gently on straddle splits.

I have that problem. I've been doing up-dog, pigeon pose and splits and trying to lean back a bit in the pigeon pose and splits. I've seen suggestions for partner stretching where the partner puts their hands under the girls armpits and pulls them back in pigeon pose and splits. Since I do most of my conditioning at home I've been using a yoga strap looped round by back foot and hauling on that.

It is the hip flexors you are stretching there but if you do an internet search for hip flexor stretches you seem to get mainly stretching exercises that activate the hip flexor to stretch muscles at the rear.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back