Back Problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I'm an acro dancer who does regular contortion and gymnastics in dance.

After doing things like backbends or anything that involves arching my back, if I don't do something to keep my back warmed for like 5 minutes, it starts to get sore if I try to even lean back. Is this normal or is this a sign of problems? The same thing happens if I stretch, for example, if I do a backbend or two at home and then wait maybe 5-15 minutes my back starts to feel sore and I don't do it as well (I'm not warm anymore).

Also, I can't really do anything backbend-related without warming up. For example, I can't do things like limbers/walkovers/backbends without warming up. If I try to, my back is INCREDIBLY stiff and I barely can bend at all, but I can do MUCH more if I am warm (for example, if I am warm, I can easily ALMOST touch my feet to my head in a seal stretch).

Lastly, is it a better stretch to straighten your legs in a backbend or walk your hands and feet closer in?

Any response are appreciated! Thanks so much.

My first thought is you would best off to go and get it checked out. Back injuries are not something to take lightly.
But if you have it checked out and there isn't anything wrong and it remains stiff a suggestion that I found worked once I had taken time out with my back problems is investing in a back warmer. In the UK you can get basic ones for a few pound. The best ones are the EliteSportzBand which are expensive but there are plenty of other options.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1471419024.498654.jpg
and if you choose to use one (once all potential medical problems have been checked) they don't effect flexibility. PM me if you have any more questions [emoji4]

You need to see a doctor. Back injuries are very common in gym, and even more common in contortion. Stop anything that causes you pain until you have been evaluated. It can be muscle pain, but it can also be fractures.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back