back pullover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you, gymdog :)

When I showed her the hand thing, it helped a lot. I see what you mean on the proportions. Maybe it will get easier for her by fall. I am noticing that if I gently touch one of her hands, she can pull up. I think at this point it might be a coordination thing, too. We'll just keep this relaxed style and when she's ready she'll get it. I just appreciate all those who have given feedback. This way, when she wants to practice at home and I have time to help her for a few minutes, I can be sure that she's practicing correctly.

Though her personality and attitude toward things aren't like most 4-going-on-5yo's, I never forget how old she is. I think people probably just saw "4" and that I was asking a question and jumped to some grande conclusions. I trust if it was really a problem, the coach wouldn't have told me it was fine to buy the practice bar.

They don't have sessions in the summer. She wanted to go gymnastics over summer. We are planning on 1 or 2 private sessions over the summer (she LOVES privates with her coach. It's more about having fun and staying in the gym environment than anything else). But our other option was CAMP, which would have been a lot of hours for her. She's only 4. I figured a few minutes every day with me doing things with her that her coach approved of would be more reasonable than several hours a day or even several hours several times a week (at this age). When she's older, we'll do the camp thing. For right now, I think that was too much.

That said, maybe it wouldn't be too much for another child and maybe a bar at home would be too much for another child. Every child is different. I'm just glad my daughter has a coach who thinks this way also, because I know that they will never hold her back when she is ready and more importantly, will never encourage her to do something that she's NOT ready to do. They will never judge her based on other kids, but on herself individually, and I think that is what all great coaches do.

Good news :)
She just got it...twice! I wish I could've got a picture of the look on her face.
Thanks again for all the feedback. The tips given were exactly what was needed. Amazing. :)

If your child chose to play soccer and wanted to practice kicking the ball in the back yard and you were out there with them teaching them how everyone would think what a great parent you are!!!!

This is so true!!!!!! But man, buy your kid a floor beam or a kip bar? Watch out because people will start assuming that you're a crazy gym mom.

LOL. I see that, now haha. I love my kids and my relationships with them are important. I want to support them in their dreams. That said, I have dreams of my own. So anything aside from normal parenting I just don't have time to obsess over. Far too obsessed with my writing lol. On top of that, my oldest son has autism therapy 4x a week, 2 hours at a time. I simply don't have the time right now to obsess over her gymnastics. When she is older, if it's something she wants to pursue more seriously, I suppose we'll have to consider what sacrifices that would require. But that's up to her and that's a long ways from now. So in the meantime, I want to keep it fun, without killing myself over driving her to the gym all the time. (It's on the other side of town and I don't drive, so once a week is hard enough!)

This is my website, which I built in a day, if anyone is interested. It's all about my writing. A look around will show that I'm definitely too busy with my own dreams to obsess about my daughter's gymnastics.
Wix.com RebeccaHamilton created by ipaintwithwords based on Panorama NewIt's under my author name. I also work for my husbands company 4-6 hours a day. This is the first gymnastics board I've joined up. I suppose if I didn't write or work, I'd have more time for her gymnastics. But like I said, she's not quite five yet, so I don't think we need to be considering any changes just yet. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back