WAG Back Tuck Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! So I've been practicing my back tuck for a long time and I don't know what to do anymore. If I have rotation, I'm so close to the ground but if I I get enough height, I have no rotation. No one seems to be able to tell me what to do to combine both rotation and height. I mean there must be exercises that I can do to help! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in that situation. I am not giving up I'm ready to work really hard but I really need help so please tell me what to do! Any exercises I can do to learn how to have height and rotation? Or did this ever happen to anyone or to anyone's gymnast? Also what muscles should I work on to get my back tuck? Anything helps!

Do you have it on a trampoline yet? Are you just trying to translate it to the floor?
Here is a suggestion from a coach here on CB:
"I work the standing back tuck at the same time as RO BHS back tuck. We do millions of jumps candle roll overs and spend at least a few months doing RO BHS rebound up to a big resi, then we do RO BHS jump to candle up on a big cheese mat on the resi and roll over to hands & knees. When they get to actually do a back tuck-either a standing or from a RO bhs they have excellent technique and are very confident. Works for me!"

I actually do not have a back tuck on a trampoline but I'm not sure it's a good idea because once I use a trampoline, I get used to it being bouncy and I stop pushing. That's what happened at the beginning with my back handspring. When I first did it on floor, I was pushing. Then I worked on it from a trampoline and when I got back on floor, I was not pushing anymore. So I'm not sure doing it on a trampoline is a good idea since I already have trouble pushing.

Hard to tell without a video. There are many mistakes that people make in a back tuck. Though, the most common would be to use the head/shoulders whipping backward to initiate the rotation, which results in a long, low, whip-ish "back tuck/flip". If this is the problem, and you try not to throw the head/chest backward, you will not rotate.

The rotation in a back tuck should come mostly from the abdominals. You set, then you curl your hips upward and bring your shins over your head. to understand this motion better, hang from a bar and do Tuck ups. But not the kind where you just pull your knees to 90 degrees in front of you. You should be trying to pull your knees above your head, and your hips will rotate forward and upward.

Until gymnasts understand where the rotation should initiate from, they will have a difficult time doing a proper back tuck.

I always find it to look at the ceiling before my tuck because it gives me confidence. And I know it sounds sill, but I like to talk to myself and say that I'm going over this time. It really helps with your mental blocks.

When dd was learning hers they did ro bhs tuck back to land up on a block. They had to get high enough to rotate and land on their feet on the block, which encouraged them to get the height.
And yes, she kept being told to keep her chin on her chest and sometimes had to put a piece of pit foam under her chin to make sure she didn't throw her head back.

Good luck.

My DD says the key is a strong rebound out of the BHS. Do you work rebound drills and even BHS drills? It all starts with the BHS... Good luck!

Hi! So I've been practicing my back tuck for a long time and I don't know what to do anymore. If I have rotation, I'm so close to the ground but if I I get enough height, I have no rotation. No one seems to be able to tell me what to do to combine both rotation and height. I mean there must be exercises that I can do to help! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in that situation. I am not giving up I'm ready to work really hard but I really need help so please tell me what to do! Any exercises I can do to learn how to have height and rotation? Or did this ever happen to anyone or to anyone's gymnast? Also what muscles should I work on to get my back tuck? Anything helps!

Is this a standing tuck or round-off handspring tuck?
Do you have a video?

I do have it on a trampoline and I am talking about a standing back tuck. I think I might not be getting enough height because I'm not fully extending my body before I start rotating. Is it possible to do a back tuck without having your arms by your ears before rotating? Because everytime I think about getting my arms to my ears I naturally do a BHS..

It is possible, just not ideal.
A good drill is to stack mats up about as high as the middle of your back. Sometimes I put a down hill mat on top. Jump as high as you can then pull your hips up to fall onto the mat. You can add a backward roll at the end if you like.

Hey! So I've done my back tuck yesterday from a block to a mat and I can actually land it on my feet! I know it's still not high enough but here's a video so maybe you can help me better!

Way too horizontal.

Look at the angle of your body before it has left the floor. It's basically 45 degrees off vertical.

Whipping head back.

Open tuck position with knees and hips at 90 degrees.

Get stronger abs and stronger legs.

Easy solution. Weighted squats and lots of leg lifts.

@hublaur | This skill is one I understand really well and have taught many times. I created a tutorial for you on my favorite coaching app, Ubersense, and posted it in the link below. I hope it helps. Also, leg conditioning will greatly improve your jumping power and height. Even if you follow my tutorial to the "t," technique will only get you so far. Strength does the rest. The exercises BlairBob suggests above are excellent, but also try to do some squats with explosive jumps out of each one. Any exercise that closely mimics the straight jump motion of the set will help loads. As for drills, I have a number of drills I use and I'd be happy to share them with you if you like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc5m4hir6...kward Tucked Somersault_714331_1390534937.mp4

We used to have our girls do weighted jump squats besides barbell squats or lunges.

I am aware that I am throwing myself backwards. When someone is spotting me, I am able to be way more vertical but I am too afraid to do it alone because I'm struggling to rotate when I jump straight up. Is it normal that I feel like it's harder to rotate when I jump straight instead of backwards?

Yes, because you dont want to land on your head.

That angle entry is similar to a back handspring.

Give it time and work it off a panel mat

@hublaur | This skill is one I understand really well and have taught many times. I created a tutorial for you on my favorite coaching app, Ubersense, and posted it in the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc5m4hir69cefbj/Me_Standing Backward Tucked Somersault_714331_1390534937.mp4

Well Arron, that was a fine tutorial and nyyyyice standing back tuck. Maybe you should consider changing your chalkbucket name from Arron to skypilot, rocketuck, or dajumpguy. No worries really, as your use of Arron appeals to me as a clever deception to make people think your real name is Arron when it's really something like Franklin or whatever, but then these sluethful folks begin to wonder if you're playing a double reverse and in fact your real name is Arron.

Clever, very clever indeed.

Nice tutorial as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back