back tucks on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
DD wants me to figure out if she doing her back tucks on beam correctly or not. She starts off with one foot slightly in front of the other then when she does the tuck she puts her feet back together, then tries to seperate them right before landing. Is this right? Or should she keep one foot slightly ahead of the other the whle time while performing the tuck. Is there a deduction for the feet not being together?

It depends on how big her feet are. My DD did them with her feet together because she's really small. I've seen them done the way you are describing as well as keeping one foot slightly ahead of the other in the entire skill.

CoachTodd has it right. ^^^ and momof5, tell your daughter that she should be checking with the coach to "figure out if she is doing her back tucks on beam correctly or not.":)

Dunno I agree, let me explain how this conversation came about. DD told me last week she asked for help 2 different times on beam and she was told both times " not right now" DD has all her 8 beam skills so she is allowed to work up on skills. She is in a huge group of 15 new level 7s and some 8s. DD says the coach is busy focusing on getting the girls to get their skills for the coming season and doesn't think she focuses as much time with the girls that have their skills. She had her gym friend over this weekend and the friend has her back tuck and so they were discussing it. The both had different opinions of how the skills should be done.

Dunno I agree, let me explain how this conversation came about. DD told me last week she asked for help 2 different times on beam and she was told both times " not right now" DD has all her 8 beam skills so she is allowed to work up on skills. She is in a huge group of 15 new level 7s and some 8s. DD says the coach is busy focusing on getting the girls to get their skills for the coming season and doesn't think she focuses as much time with the girls that have their skills. She had her gym friend over this weekend and the friend has her back tuck and so they were discussing it. The both had different opinions of how the skills should be done.

Momof5 I go through the same thing with my DD. Sometimes the coaches are not always there paying attention and/or focused. I don't mean this necessarily as they are bad coaches just that they are human and can't be 100% all the time. When my DD got her beam routine for L7, it was only 2 weeks before her first meet that one of the coaches noticed she was missing leap/jumps on her routine. So, they just added it. Luckily, the missing elements were something she could already do well.

My DD does her back tucks on beam the way you described, with one foot slightly forward. As far as the mechanics after take off, I don't know what is right or wrong and/or what my DD does. It happens so fast. But as Dunno said, try to get an answer from the coaches.

i understand the dilemna. tell your daughter to tell the coach "coach, i have to go to the bathroom but i would like to show you my back tuck on beam before i go". that'll get their attention.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back