Back up vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter does tsuk and if it is good she does yerchenko. Same start value but different vault.

Some girls do. I always warmed up two vaults, then if I made my first vault I tried the harder one.

Even our level 1,2, and 3's have their back up vaults. For most of them we compete one bonus vault and one core vault, instead of doing the same bonus vault twice. It is quite helpful as the kids don't always get the highest scores on the vaulkts with the highest start values.

I think you guys are a lot more disciplined than I was at meets.

I didn't really have a backup vault, so much as I had a handfull of vaults to choose from, depending on how I was feeling during warm ups and how each vault was looking the night before. Sometimes I'd go with a handspring front, sometimes a tucked tsuk, sometimes a layout kazamatsu, sometimes a layout kazamatsu. All depended on which one I felt like doing on that particular day.

First time I competed a layout tsuk was about 5 minutes after the first time I ever tried one (I decided to try it laid out during warm-ups, because I was overrotating it tucked. I landed it, so I competed it.) First time I ever tried a kazumatsu was at a friday night practice, and I competed it the following morning.

Floor was similar; I made up my floor routines on the spot at each meet, depending on how much out of bounds room there was at each corner, where the judge was sitting, and which skills felt good during warmup. (This works a lot better for guys than it does for girls)

Last edited:
Yes, its a lot harder to make up your floor routine on the spot when it has to be coreographed to fit with the music.

Even our level 1,2, and 3's have their back up vaults. For most of them we compete one bonus vault and one core vault, instead of doing the same bonus vault twice. It is quite helpful as the kids don't always get the highest scores on the vaulkts with the highest start values.

I'm curious about your levels 1, 2 and 3. Our lower levels only learn one very basic vault but they get two chances at the meets. What kinds of vaults to your lower levels learn? How do they correspond with our levels?

Our optional gymnasts compete only their main vault (a tsuk or yurchenko, etc.), but I guess through L8 a fhs vault could still be an option and if executed well could actually be a high score for a gymnast. I have seen a L8 compete a fhs and score in the mid 9's - not sure what the start value is.

I am not sure if this is still true, but this vault was a part of the jr elite progression. (btw these Aus. elite progression vids are adorable) Is it the same country wide? I know that you mentioned that gymnasts can be put on 2 seperate tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDQ0Pm-PoI0

The system is a little confusing in Australia. For level 1, 2 and 3 every level has a set core vault and a set core routine on each apparatus. They have a start value of 5.0 if they are fully completed to requirements (which means the whole routine is out of 15.0, with the 10.0 execution score).

But then there are bonus vaults, routines and skills. They are harder and the kids get a higher start value. So the kids can compete the core skills and/or the bonus skills.

For example

Level 2 C vault - Kick to handstand fall to flat back on 30 cms crash mats (start value 5.0)
Level 2 B vault - Hanspring to flat back (hands on mats) on 60 cm's of crash mats (start value 6.0)
Level 2 A vault - Front tuck saulto onto 60 cm's of crash mats (start value 7.0)

Basically there are higher points of course for higher vaults but they carry more risks, and the deductions are a lot higher.

The little girl in the video is doing the front sault so she is either in Level 2 A which is the elite stream, or she is in level 3 doing the bonus vault (most level 3's do this vault).

The C skills and routines are the easiest and the minimum that kids need to pass and compete each level. These routines and skills are popular with recreational gymnasts or those who train limited hours. The B rountines and skills are bonus skills and slightly harder, they are popular with the kids who go in competitions. The A routines are very difficult and very few kids can master them, they are designed for kids who will eventually become elite gymnasts.

After level 3 there are two streams the national stream and the international stream. The national stream goes from level 4-10 and is quite similar to the USA starndard for each level. The vast majority of gymnasts do this stream and it is taught in the vast majority of gyms. Our compulsary levels are different to the USA in that the kids have core skills in their routine but can replace them with bonus skills to get a higher start value. For example in level 5 the girls are required to do a cartwheel on beam as their core acro skill but they can replace it with a front or back walkover or a tic toc for 0.2 bonus or with a back or front handspring or standing back tuck for a 0.4 bonus.

Then there is the international stream (elite). This is a stream for the very few select gymnasts who have the potential to represent Australia in international competition. There are only around 6 gyms in the whole country which teach these levels and they are fed more talented gymnasts from the regular gyms. These girls have a totally separate levels system which goes International level 6, international level 8, International level 10, junior international, senior international.

I don't really believe in a "back-up" vault unless you are attempting a new vault. You should always be able to compete something, and you shouldn't have to call it your back up vault. For example, I just learned my yurchenko layout full twist. I was planning on doing one layout and one full, because it was regionals in the toughest region. However, since warm-ups went good, I competed 2 fulls. I guess my "back-ups" could be tucks or pikes, but i would have a lower start value. You can have back-up skills on other events if you miss bonus or screw up and didn't get credit for the requirement, however, i think that if you need to call it a back-up vault, you shouldn't be doing the vault you are planning to compete. you are doubting yourself.

Aussie- Thanks for the explanation. I always love to hear how these things work in other countries besides the USA. When do Australian girls start using the vault table? The kick to handstand sounds like our level 1. At level 2, the girls do the handspring to flat back. Level 3 does the same thing only to a higher stack of mats. Level 4 is the same but they use the vault table. They don't to a "real" vault until level 5 when they remove the mats and do the handspring over the vault table and land on their feet on the floor.

They start using that vault table at level 4, but they do the same vault that the USA girls do, they just do it over the vault table with mats stacked up to the height of the table. The real front handspring is not introduced until level 5, just like the USA.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back