WAG Back walkover: non-kicking leg going out to the side???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kzpage

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Good news is we finally fixed the shoulder flexibility and opening up issue for my daughter's back walkover- yay! Now though when she kicks back her non-kicking leg is going out to the side making her go off course and twist and fall over to that side. What is she doing wrong? We don't have practice again until next week but if there's anything she can be aware of while practicing at home to help reverse this I'd love to share it with her- thanks!

Good news is we finally fixed the shoulder flexibility and opening up issue for my daughter's back walkover- yay! Now though when she kicks back her non-kicking leg is going out to the side making her go off course and twist and fall over to that side. What is she doing wrong? We don't have practice again until next week but if there's anything she can be aware of while practicing at home to help reverse this I'd love to share it with her- thanks!
Something safer to do at home would be a tick tock with the front leg held straight up when her back leg lands (then collapse and repeat).

Be very careful practicing lots of BWO's at home, they are brutal on the lower back. Better to limit them massively, than to suffer down the road.

Yes, what Bog said. Don't let her do it at home! My DD used to love practicing her kickovers/walkovers/etc. when she was little, was doing them all the time. Then when she was older she got diagnosed with stress fracture in her spine, which pretty much ended her gymnastics career. I've read tons of articles on gymnastics and back problem while she was recovering. Those skills are very bad for their little backs and should not be practiced outside of gym.

This thread has been so helpful as a relative noob parent, LOL. I didn't know BWOs were so stressful for the back. Will most definitely not be having DD practice those at home.

Even ticktocks load the lower spine, honestly avoid them at home. They are just as bad as BWO's.

Having seen my own daughter go through spine surgery, and years of suffering, it is just not worth it. Her coach had her do endless beam BWO's, and honestly it ruined her back for life. It is just gymnastics, having a perfect BWO is not going to get her to college or the olympics.

The number of gymnasts I have seen here ask about back troubles over the years is insane, save yourself from being a statistic and stop home coaching back bending skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back