WAG Back walkover on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have all skills for level 5 on beam except for back walkover. I know I can do it because I've done it exactly how you would on a beam except on a line. Everytime I go on the beam I get scared and don't go. Any ideas how I could get over this fear so that I can move up?

When I was learning back walkovers on beam, I learned a trick from an incredible coach at my gym that really helped prevent me from ever developing a fear of them.

What really worked for me was to actually NOT have the "just go for it" mindset that we were often encouraged to develop with certain skills such as back tumbling. With back walkovers, many gymnasts seem to have that same mindset where they should just "not think about it and go"--which CAN work but often leads to minor slip-ups such as missing one hand, etc. that might cause further fear issues. It helped me much more to actually THROUGHLY focus on every step of the walkover, look at my hands as I was going backwards, and look at exactly where I was going to put my hands on the beam--this helped me feel MUCH more in control during the walkover and more like I had control over where my hands landed on the beam. That same coach also taught me a "three-spotting point" technique in which you make your eyes focus on three points during the walkover--first, pick a spot on the wall as you're about to go backwards, then, look for the spot on the beam where your hands land, then move your eyes back to the original spot on the wall.

Not saying it works for EVERYONE, but I found back walkovers on beam to be one of the skills where you actually want to "overthink" every step a little bit--not to the point where you scare yourself silly, but truly focus on what your body is doing in each step. I have faith that you can do it! When in doubt, literally take the smallest steps possible to get there--a low beam with panel mats, slowly pulling one part of a panel mat away, then the next panel mat, etc.

When I was learning back walkovers on beam, I learned a trick from an incredible coach at my gym that really helped prevent me from ever developing a fear of them.

What really worked for me was to actually NOT have the "just go for it" mindset that we were often encouraged to develop with certain skills such as back tumbling. With back walkovers, many gymnasts seem to have that same mindset where they should just "not think about it and go"--which CAN work but often leads to minor slip-ups such as missing one hand, etc. that might cause further fear issues. It helped me much more to actually THROUGHLY focus on every step of the walkover, look at my hands as I was going backwards, and look at exactly where I was going to put my hands on the beam--this helped me feel MUCH more in control during the walkover and more like I had control over where my hands landed on the beam. That same coach also taught me a "three-spotting point" technique in which you make your eyes focus on three points during the walkover--first, pick a spot on the wall as you're about to go backwards, then, look for the spot on the beam where your hands land, then move your eyes back to the original spot on the wall.

Not saying it works for EVERYONE, but I found back walkovers on beam to be one of the skills where you actually want to "overthink" every step a little bit--not to the point where you scare yourself silly, but truly focus on what your body is doing in each step. I have faith that you can do it! When in doubt, literally take the smallest steps possible to get there--a low beam with panel mats, slowly pulling one part of a panel mat away, then the next panel mat, etc.
Thank you so much! This really helped me, I'm just working on taking away the mats now!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back