WAG Back walkover on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi

I have been working in my back walkover on beam and I have a mental block. I can do the walkover fine but I am scared my hands will miss the beam. Any tips?

Tell your coach.
Mental blocks are super common and there are different ways to deal with them.
My daughter needs to drill the biometrics from the beginning until she's comfortable and confident and that mostly clears it up--though it takes as long as it takes.
For other kids, the coach is sterner and says no one's leaving until that vault is cleared (this would NOT work for my daughter but it works for some of her teammates).
Your coach should have a few methods to try and you can work out the best one together.

I had the same problem, what helped me was having coach beside, so if I actually miss the beam they will be there to save me. And my coach got a very soft portable beam and put it In-between 2 stacks of panel mats and put them in the pit, this was very helpful. Maybe you can ask you coach if they could do something like that.
BBBC026A-8F99-428B-80EB-425FFACFBC3A.jpeg

I had the same problem, what helped me was having coach beside, so if I actually miss the beam they will be there to save me. And my coach got a very soft portable beam and put it In-between 2 stacks of panel mats and put them in the pit, this was very helpful. Maybe you can ask you coach if they could do something like that.
View attachment 8629
Omg i need a beam in the pit- I've always wondered if that was possible. It would be so much easier to train on a high beam with the pit under but also equally harder to get the skill out of the pit and onto the real surface

Omg i need a beam in the pit- I've always wondered if that was possible. It would be so much easier to train on a high beam with the pit under but also equally harder to get the skill out of the pit and onto the real surface
After I mastered doing it in the pit my coach put a panel mat above the pit. And kept on adding a panel mat until it’s as hard as the landing mats around the actual beams.

Thanks for the feedback. My coach put panel mats around the low beam and slowly lowered the mats until I could do it on my own on the low beam. I am still a little scared when doing my first one, but I’m not after I do one. It’s just the first back walkover, but I did it on my own completely first try today at practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back