Back Walkovers?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

so i have very flexible shoulders and back and have my backbend down.
i am working towards kicking over from my backbend, and then learning a back walkover, but keep getting stuck.
i can kick over fine when someone is spotting me, but by myself i get scared and just kind of lift my leg in the air...

does anyone have any tips or tricks?
thank you! :D

Start working the kickovers with your feet higher than your hands until you get confidence that doing the kickover at each level isn't a problem.

I start all kickovers from a big block first approxiamately 2 feet high, then a block 1 feet high and then folding out layers of a panel mat.

I also use a wedge from the top which is similar to off a block 1 foot high and then have them bridge with their hands on the ground and feet on the wedge which is similar to doing it off a 6 layer panel mat.

Totally agree with what Blairbob suggested. Also once you have begun to kick over, imagine you have to push your armpits towards the wall behind you (or whatever is there, it might not be a wall!)

A Cheese (wedge) mat I think are the most helpful in learing back walkovers. They give you a head start with your legs so it is easier to kick over. You can also work on back limbers. These with help with the pulling motion that you get in a back walkover. One you get the hang of these it's just a matter of going for it! Godd luck!

Thanks so much everyone, especially BlairBob
I tried kciking over from my couch, and it worked better.
I just need to practise now :p

Well when i was learning my kick over i put my feet on a 6 inch mat and and pushed my shoulders back three times for momentum and on my third push back i kicked over. And if that doesn't work then you can do a bridge with your feet the wall and walk your feet up the wall untile you feel like you can kick over. Hope you get your kick over!

First of all, don't use the exercise ball for practicing your kickovers anymore. It's putting you into totally the wrong position. Using the couch is a better idea. You must must must push your shoulders out. It's clear that you're more than ready to do a kickover by yourself. It's not so much a strength skill as a flexibility skill, and you've got that part down well. If you're scared, try doing it backwards. Kick into a handstand and land in a bridge. That will insure that your arms/shoulders are strong enough to support you when you kick over. Now just practice it. You'll feel how easy it is if you do it right.

Tweety

Having watched the video, it is obvious that you are flexible enough in the shoulders to do the kick over. I wouldn't use the ball personally, like tweeters above me and someone else suggested, use the couch or the bottom stair or anything raised to put your feet on and kick over from.

Whilst you are using the ball, you aren't really in a bridge.

This is how I'd do it:

Start lying on your back on the couch with bent legs, reach backwards until your hands reach the floor, then push up to bridge. Lift one leg up and push the other one off the couch keeping your legs as split as possible and pushing your armpits away from your feet at the same time.

When you can do this, move on to a lower surface, so the bottom stair for example, then something even lower.

When you are ready to try it on the floor, push up to bridge and then walk one foot in towards your hands, lift your other leg and then continue as before.
Keeping your legs split and pushing your shoulders are the key parts to getting this!

First of all, thank you for the tips everyone
Second, I have awesome news
I can now successfully do a backbend kickover off a wall!
I know it's a really small accomplishment, but I'm getting there
Thanks again :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back