Back Walkovers...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast_bre

So, I'm starting my back walkovers. =D

I know in a back walkover, you have to start with one leg lifted up off the ground, so you'll need more power through the pushing leg because you can't really swing that leg. The reason I had trouble with backbend kickovers was just not having enough power, so I'm guaranteed to have trouble with this.

Also, having one leg up, I'm scared to start arching back because I feel like I'll lose my balance on the way down. My arms will just collapse. Any ideas? BTW I'm doing them on floor first, then I'll get to beam. If you have any advice please post =) Check out my other threads too!!!

Try them on the wedge, going down. It's soft, so if you fall you won't hit your head. And, you get more power going down. And then gradually, just work it onto the floor.

I agree with emilee572. Also if you're uncomfortable, ask your coach to spot a few so you get a feel for it and then gradually let them spot less and less and pretty soon, you'll get it on your own. In my opinion, I think the back walkover is easier than the kickover, it took my like 3 months to get my kickover and I got my backwalkover in a day. Practice until you're comfortable going back, you'll get it no time! :)

Try them on the wedge, going down. It's soft, so if you fall you won't hit your head. And, you get more power going down. And then gradually, just work it onto the floor.

Please NEVER do this. If you are going to practice doing a back bend, do it up the wedge not down. I've seen kids told to do this on their own and they broke both arms due to the height difference. (basically it's too far to fall backwards onto your hands) Practice the arching down by standing on the small end of the down hill mat and arching toward the top. If you want to work the kick over, lay on the down hill mat, do a bridge with your feet at the top of the hill, press through your shoulders and work the kick over.

You do not necessarily have to start with your leg in the air, when i do them i feel the same way so instead point your foot and put the tip of you big toe on the ground(or beam), its not much but it keeps you from feeling like you are going to fall over and it is not a deduction :)

Please NEVER do this. If you are going to practice doing a back bend, do it up the wedge not down. I've seen kids told to do this on their own and they broke both arms due to the height difference. (basically it's too far to fall backwards onto your hands) Practice the arching down by standing on the small end of the down hill mat and arching toward the top. If you want to work the kick over, lay on the down hill mat, do a bridge with your feet at the top of the hill, press through your shoulders and work the kick over.

spot on! coachtodd. hope your advice is timely lest we here what you posted as the consequences. geez louise...:)

^^ That. ^^

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back