Coaches Back walkovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I've never liked back walkovers because I believe they are the reason behind so many back problems and pains of gymnasts I've coached. When I started a new pre-team group two years ago I decided we won't spend too much time on them and we'll always carefully warm up the shoulders and back before doing them. When I did gymnastics back and front walkovers were part of our warm up routine and most of the coaches in my gym also include them to warm ups.

Now those kids who I started to coach two years ago are 8 years old, turning nine this year. This is the first year they all need a back walkover in their floor routine and they also need to up-train back walkovers on beam because they'll compete them in 1-3 years.

We do very little back walkover work. All but one of them have the skill on floor but some of them do it with not-so-good form by themselves and a few of them lack the shoulder flexibility so I always spot them if possible. Instead of working on that skill we spend more time on partner shoulder stretches.

Well, the other coaches encourage kids to start back walkovers on beam by themselves as soon as possible (i.e. when they are too young to be scared) and they don't require a perfect back walkover with leg up at horizontal before that. I do and my kids see the other groups are working on walkovers on beam and ask all the time if they can also and are very upset when I say no.

What do you think? Do you limit back walkover work to minimum? Are you worried about that particular skill and has it caused back pains to your athletes? I much prefer back-handspring step outs!!! It's a shame they cannot compete BHS instead of back walkover in compulsories. Sigh.

I've never liked back walkovers because I believe they are the reason behind so many back problems and pains of gymnasts I've coached. When I started a new pre-team group two years ago I decided we won't spend too much time on them and we'll always carefully warm up the shoulders and back before doing them. When I did gymnastics back and front walkovers were part of our warm up routine and most of the coaches in my gym also include them to warm ups.

Now those kids who I started to coach two years ago are 8 years old, turning nine this year. This is the first year they all need a back walkover in their floor routine and they also need to up-train back walkovers on beam because they'll compete them in 1-3 years.

We do very little back walkover work. All but one of them have the skill on floor but some of them do it with not-so-good form by themselves and a few of them lack the shoulder flexibility so I always spot them if possible. Instead of working on that skill we spend more time on partner shoulder stretches.

Well, the other coaches encourage kids to start back walkovers on beam by themselves as soon as possible (i.e. when they are too young to be scared) and they don't require a perfect back walkover with leg up at horizontal before that. I do and my kids see the other groups are working on walkovers on beam and ask all the time if they can also and are very upset when I say no.

What do you think? Do you limit back walkover work to minimum? Are you worried about that particular skill and has it caused back pains to your athletes? I much prefer back-handspring step outs!!! It's a shame they cannot compete BHS instead of back walkover in compulsories. Sigh.

I have always taught back walkovers to my gymnasts, but in moderation. If they are having back problems, I make sure they are not doing them so while I don't think you are doing a bad thing, I am just a little confused... You want them to have a perfect back walkover with their leg up at horizontal, BUT you don't spend very much time working on it? How do you expect them to get it if they aren't putting much work into it? I guess what I am trying to say is if you don't want to spend tons of time working on it, then you also shouldn't expect them to get it perfectly? Also if the skill is eventually required, I would probably put in the effort to get them to a point where you are satisfied. Once they have it mastered, don't overdo it. I don't know if I am making much sense, but I hope this helps!

I think I didn't make myself clear with that perfect back walkover requirement.

I don't like making kids do back walkovers if they don't have good enough shoulder flexibility (i.e. they do them by using their lower back and that causes all kind of troubles). That's why we do a lots of stretches and don't work on them very much or they do them only spotted when they cannot use the lower back to make it over. I believe that the skill itself is pretty easy to master on floor if they have good enough flexibility (and they are strong enough and can control their core muscles, but those things can be practiced other, more safe ways) so if they are not easily able to learn a very good leg up BWO on line they aren't really ready to work on them on beam. I currently have maybe two kids who have good shoulder flexibility but the others are not quite there yet.

I think I didn't make myself clear with that perfect back walkover requirement.

I don't like making kids do back walkovers if they don't have good enough shoulder flexibility (i.e. they do them by using their lower back and that causes all kind of troubles). That's why we do a lots of stretches and don't work on them very much or they do them only spotted when they cannot use the lower back to make it over. I believe that the skill itself is pretty easy to master on floor if they have good enough flexibility (and they are strong enough and can control their core muscles, but those things can be practiced other, more safe ways) so if they are not easily able to learn a very good leg up BWO on line they aren't really ready to work on them on beam. I currently have maybe two kids who have good shoulder flexibility but the others are not quite there yet.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense!

In that case, I usually tell kids, in order to work on "skill Y" you first have to get "x", then kids are usually more motivated to work on the things they need to improve upon. In the case of flexibility, its not always so easy. I guess there's not a whole lot more you can do than what you already are doing. Sometimes I try dropping hints by saying something like "Oh your back walkovers would be much easier if you worked on your shoulder flexibility" or giving the occasional little talk on why flexibility is important, and that it is one of the easiest things to work on at home. Some kids get really motivated and actually work on it at home while others don't.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back