WAG Backbend kickover troubles!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello. I am a beginning gymnast, having just started December of last year. All of the other skills/preparations for skills are going great. I have just one problem- I can't kick over from a backbend! I've tried a lot of things to help me- at the gym and at home. I tried it on an incline mat- didn't work! I can't try it on a hill, because there is 14 inches of snow outside. However, I can kickover from a surface inclined about a foot off the ground. Any advice? I need to learn how to do this. That way, I can level up.

It's hard to say without seeing it, but one of the most common problems I see with gymnasts learning this skill is not pushing their shoulders open enough. When I have kids with this problem I often tell them to "push their armpits" back towards the wall (the wall you are looking at when pushed up in a bridge). Often just a finger spot to remind them to open their shoulders will do the trick.
It can be a tricky skill for some girls to learn, so keep working at it!

I tried that, and I'll keep trying. Could it be possible I don't have enough flexibility in my shoulder? Strength? I don't think either can take a role, having been a softball pitcher for four years, and being a softball player in general.

Let me preface this by saying - I am not a coach nor do I play one on TV. I'm just a Mom who pays attention.

The biggest thing I noticed while my daughter was learning and watching the other girls was that they did not have their shoulders over their wrists. (Exactly what Coach Molly said, just phrased differently) Seems to be the #1 issue with getting those legs over. If your arms are straight, you won't fall on your head.

Let me preface this by saying - I am not a coach nor do I play one on TV. I'm just a Mom who pays attention.

The biggest thing I noticed while my daughter was learning and watching the other girls was that they did not have their shoulders over their wrists. (Exactly what Coach Molly said, just phrased differently) Seems to be the #1 issue with getting those legs over. If your arms are straight, you won't fall on your head.

I think that's my issue- the shoulders! My legs just kick up and fall. No power whatsoever! Will definitely keep watch on my shoulders and straight arms.

My daughter just reminded me of this exercise they used to do while learning the kickover. Coach would have them do a backbend with a block mat against their feet to keep them from sliding. The girls would then rock back and forth. She says it helps with flexibility and learning the "feel" of where your shoulders should be.

As with all practicing, check with your coach to make sure this is how they want you to practice.

It is possible that you don't have enough shoulder flexibility. I have coached a few kids who could do ro-bhs no problem but could not for the life of them learn a kickover or back walkover. However, I'm not sure that is the case with you and would suggest you don't let that deter you from working on it. Practicing rocking back and forth in bridges as Becasueisaid mentioned is a good exercise to learn what it feels like to get your shoulders over your wrists, as well as continuing to do bridges with your feet elevated and rocking back so your shoulders are over your wrists and just feeling that position.
I have seen lots of girls who are able to push their shoulders open while in a static bridge but as soon as they try to lift a leg or kickover they revert back. So keep working on making sure your shoulders are staying over your wrists even as you lift a leg/kick over (takes lots of thought, especially at first).

I can lift one leg in my bridge. It just takes time, I guess. I will definitely do some of the drills explained.

Last edited:
What?! Of course you can do it, but not with that attitude. I promise if you continue in gymnastics you will someday look back at this and laugh!

But anyways, just try holding your bridge with your arms against a wall, and try to push your shoulders against it. Also, keep one leg up in the air and hold that. Kickovers just take some time to learn but don't overdo it or you might hurt yourself.

Good luck!

'Oh, and I have a fear of falling on my head and messing up my neck. Sorry, I forgot to include that.'

I think this is the most important piece of the puzzle! ;) You need to tell your coach about this, and he/she will be able to help you work through this, as even the most inflexible girls should be able to do one from a raised surface. Good luck. :)

I tend to get frustrated easily on things like this. I have gymnastics later, definitely will ask coach about drills and help and whatnot.

Seriously?! I can't do a needle. But I have an okay scorpian. My coach says I have really nice kick overs and backwalkovers and I'm not extremely flexible, so I think you just need to keep practicing drills, as you said.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back