WAG Background checks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymCMLA

Proud Parent
I know USAG requires background checks for all professional members and instructors, but do USAG member gyms have any expectations on background checking all employees? We have a new "coach" who just appeared from out of state. We didn't get any introduction (we never do despite asking for a quick email when there are new team coaches).
2 of our current coaches appear to have potential criminal histories. I think one would be allowed but never transport children and one would not (admittedly, I am using the schools list of who can and can't, not usag's).
I am just wondering if there should be background checks for all coaches in a USAG member gym, even if he/she isn't going to ever go to a meet (which would require USAG membership)

The industry standard is to do background checks on all employees and get every employee registered with USAG at least as an instructor and get safety certification. If the gym is not doing this, they're accepting additional liability.

Technically though, a gym competing USAG can have instructors that don't meet these requirements. It's just not the industry standard for a well run gym.

Everyone in the UK who has regular contact with children has to have a criminal records check, even if they are a volunteer. I had one for play group, one for gym and one for school where I was a volunteer driver.

The industry standard is to do background checks on all employees and get every employee registered with USAG at least as an instructor and get safety certification. If the gym is not doing this, they're accepting additional liability.

Technically though, a gym competing USAG can have instructors that don't meet these requirements. It's just not the industry standard for a well run gym.

well stated.

I thought this was the case also but I'm in the u.k I have been a volunteer I the gym for 2 years every week for between 6 and 12 hours and haven't had one! Now I don't coach kids but I'm in regular contact with them they come to the office if they are injured or need anything and I'm usually the only person there I try and make sure I'm not alone with them

I thought this was the case also but I'm in the u.k I have been a volunteer I the gym for 2 years every week for between 6 and 12 hours and haven't had one! Now I don't coach kids but I'm in regular contact with them they come to the office if they are injured or need anything and I'm usually the only person there I try and make sure I'm not alone with them

If you are a regular volunteer with children you need one. I can see that if you are volunteering in the office they might think you don't. I would ask for one anyway.

I think all employees in the gym in our gym have to go through one. Even the after hours cleaning people have gone through one.

I think people would be surprised at how many gyms do not background check all employees. I have worked at 4 gyms (including some fairly well known gyms) and have only been background checked at one. Coming from a teaching background I 100% agree with that above, that all good gyms should background check all employees.

I am sure not all of our coaching staff has had background checks, but parents are not discouraged from watching and it is a busy gym and it is easy to see what is going on in practice.

It seems unusual to have a team coach who is not USAG certified. It does feel like your gym isn't meeting industry expectations.

This is interesting. It never occurred to me that clubs wouldn't insist on mandatory background checks on potential coaches, as well as safety certifications.

That said, I had assumed that USAG would require it.

Heck, I had to have a background check just to volunteer in my children's classrooms/schools, and I had to have CPR training to volunteer in their health room!

I agree, I volunteer at a hospital and used to work at a church. I have/ had regular background checks for both.

Everyone in the UK who has regular contact with children has to have a criminal records check, even if they are a volunteer. I had one for play group, one for gym and one for school where I was a volunteer driver.

I have got 3 separate DBS checks, one for Playgroup, one for school when I was on the PTA and one at my daughters old Dance School so I could Chaoerone, I also hold a Chaperones License that allows me to Chaperone throughout the UK. You need a DBS check to work or Volunteer in settings where children are present and also volunable adults.

I coach 4-6 hours a week at the gym I train at, and occasionally come in early or stay late on training days to help in the office and they did a DBS check on me and I'm under 18, because HC said I technically don't need one, but did one anyway. I also have one for school, because I do work placement at my old primary school on TD days and in some of my free periods.

Doing the background check and preventing employment may also be two different things. It's possible (I would think) for a gym to knowingly employ someone with criminal history provided whatever the issue is is a risk the gym is willing to take on. It's awareness, not a gatekeeper - I think. I could be wrong.

I thought that USAG required coaches to be checked?

Though as I write this, I don't know what exactly that 'check' is? A CORI? I actually think a CORI only verifies within the state but doesn't cross check other states? Could be wrong.

In my state, parents are required to have a CORI to volunteer in the schools and required to be fingerprinted if they are going off school grounds to chaperone a field trip.

I would like to believe that my daughter's gym is the same…but now that I think of it, I bet not….

What is that list they publish in the gymnastics magazine the girls get a few times a year? With names of people who can't be employed at gyms??

USAG does require it, but coaches don't have to be USAG members/safety certified. They (USAG) recommend NCIS (national search) and that is what they used (based on what the website says) But owners can hire coaches in the gym that don't go to meets and they wouldn't have to be USAG members/instructors/safety certified/background checked.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back