WAG Backhand spring archy back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mmspar

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, My DD L4 is having trouble correcting her RO BHS BHS. Her RO seems good as she gets compliments on it. There seem to be 2 main issues with the BHS part and we are wondering what drills she can do to fix this. 1) Her back arches too early in the BHS. She starts off with a good hollow body position but too quickly starts to arch. How to fix this timing? She has done tons of hollow body shaping drills already but that seems to not fix the issue bc it is timing. The coach just keeps telling her to not arch her back or not arch so early. But are there drills or anything else we can do to help with timing?
2) In the slightly seated jump back position, she starts feet too forward on the floor. What drills do we do to fix this? Coach is just telling her to put her feet less forward and explains his reasoning but has not given specific drills for this.

This BHS has been such a tough one for her to correct and she has had this problem for some time now making it hard to correct! Thank you for your input!!!

I'm having a hard time picturing these issues. Do you have a video?

From what you're saying, I think the issue is that she's initiating the BHS before her center of mass has enough time to get behind her feet.... but the solution to that is to try to get the feet further forward, so maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Hi! Thank you so much for your response! Would really be interested in hearing what you have to say. Actually I think the main problem is more that she arches her back too soon and too much in the BHS. I think she is supposed to hold the C shape longer and arch later. Wondering what drills to do to not arch her back as much and to arch only later in the BHS. The foot placement on initiation might not be as big of a deal. It’s not letting me post a video.

Going by what you're saying, here's what I would do:

1) Standing BHS to stick with no rebound. Start and finish in the exact same position, with the chest hollow, the knees bent, the arms roughly horizontal, and the head either neutral or forward. No arm swing, complete stick on landing.

2) Same as above, stick with no rebound, come to a complete stop, and then do it again from that same spot. The stop in between the first and second BHS can be as long as she likes, but she cannot move her feet or swing her arms in between.

3) Same as above, over and over and over and over and over and over. Bump it up to doing a set of 3, if there's room. Over time, without making any conscious effort to do so, the pause between the first and second BHS will get shorter, until eventually she's connecting them. Building this from a pause inbetween prevents her from rushing the connection, and forces her to sit her center of mass back behind her feet before initiating each subsequent BHS.

(Again, this is all assuming I'm picturing the error correctly, which I may not be)

Just assuming here so I may be wrong, but if someone is over arching on their back handspring it usually leads to under cutting. If this is the problem then she just needs to stretch everything out. having here start in a spot and try to get her hands onto a line could help with this problem. without seeing a video I am not positive this is the problem, but something to think about.

Just assuming here so I may be wrong, but if someone is over arching on their back handspring it usually leads to under cutting. If this is the problem then she just needs to stretch everything out. having here start in a spot and try to get her hands onto a line could help with this problem. without seeing a video I am not positive this is the problem, but something to think about.
I think there's a bit of chicken/egg going on here. Does the arch cause the undercut, or does the undercur cause the arch.

Agreed that the main focus should be on making the backhandsprings longer. And (perhaps counterintuitively), I think for the short term the athlete should try to make them slower; short backhqndpsrings are often the result when the athlete is trying to rush the skill.

Thank you everyone for your input. This forum is amazing. I spoke to her coach who also said she is bending her knees and buckling her knees too much between the RO and BHS. My daughter doesn’t know how to fix this except to punch more. But seems she can’t fix it easily. If you have any ideas on how to drill this, she would really appreciate it!

Thank you everyone for your input. This forum is amazing. I spoke to her coach who also said she is bending her knees and buckling her knees too much between the RO and BHS. My daughter doesn’t know how to fix this except to punch more. But seems she can’t fix it easily. If you have any ideas on how to drill this, she would really appreciate it!
Two things:

First and most importantly, she's rushing the connection. She's trying to start the BHS before her center of mass gets sufficiently behind her feet. She needs to slow down the connection just slightly. The way I generally train this is by working rows of two or three backhandsprings from a stand -- they don't even have to be fully connected, so long as the athlete doesn't move the feet or swing the arms in between -- with the athlete trying to maximize distance.

Second, she's not synchronizing the push off with her hips and knees. Ideally as she takes off the backhandspring, her hips and knees should extend at the same time; if the hips extend first, you get that knee buckle that you're talking about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back