Parents Backhand spring in Preteam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rmankini

Proud Parent
My daughter is in preteam. A number of the girls (ages 5-7) have their backhand spring on the trampoline. Coaches will not move them to the floor of till they are level 3.

Is this normal? Is it because they don't want them getting hurt doing a skill that isn't necessary quite yet?

However, I've seen 5 -6 year olds at other gyms doing ROBHS. So why would they hold them back on that skill?

Thanks!

There could be a lot of factors other than just wanting them to go to L3 first. Skills happen on the trampoline usually way before they are ready to move to the floor even with heavy matting etc. If their are still bent arms in the back handspring, girls hitting their head sometimes, etc I can see them not wanting to move to the floor yet. Usually when they do move to the floor it is with some spotting and some extra mats as well at first. Are they moving to L3 in the summer? If so, that isn't far away and they may just want to wait until they are with their new coaches to start trying it on the floor.

Every gym is different. I know my daughters had to had ROBHS on tumble trak before attempting on floor. But this was when they were pre-team. My youngest was 5 at the time.

I would keep them on the tramp at this stage because it's much lower impact.

I don't want 5-7 year olds with stress fractures from pounding backwards on the floor.

So it could be as simple as preserving their bodies until they're physically more developed and able to withstand landing with their body weight on their arms.

Good coaching I'd say.

Soft tramp vs hard floor. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think many of "us" (and I include myself though I get off the crazy bus sooner then most). Want to rush.

Here is the thing. Once they start doing BHS on the floor (then the beam) they will do them FOREVER in gymnastics. No need to rush the impact.

Had the same thing happen last year. Daughters optional season, she was L3 going to L4. And it was why arent they doing high bar? Why is coach keeping them on low bar? They need high bar for L4. My stress lasted a week and then I realized, once she gets to high bar she is there for the rest of gymnastics career however long that is. And guess what they all did great in L4 and have high bar all the time since a year ago.

This year it was when is she going to get BHS on beam and then I took a deep breath. Once she gets it its there forever. And guess what, she has it now.

So don't stress when it goes to the floor. It goes when it goes and then it will be BHS plus.............. forever more.

I've seen a just-turned-7 year old, who had been doing Back Handsprings for a whole year already on old level 4, severely break her arm while being spotted by her coach, because she was just slightly off-center or something. My dd said the crack was louder than all the activity in the gym and everyone heard it. Surgery followed. So, no need to rush Back Handsprings. The goal should be good form and safety. I wish I could beg all the parents to please slow down and be amazed at each step of the journey, because it really goes by so fast, and you never know if it might be the last practice or the last meet. Injuries, growth, puberty, mental blocks, fear, etc., could all spell the end of their time in gymnastics. Believe me, I wish I could go back in time and soak up those Level 4 meets and just be in the moment without worrying about what's next.

Your DD will get her Back Handspring in due time, and might be the best one doing them because she did wait and learned them correctly and was more mentally ready for them, who knows? But unless she's going to level 3, she doesn't even need them yet. Our gym competes Lvl 1 and 2, so if it were my dd, she would still have 2 years to learn them. (Because I'm the crazy grammar police, I must point out its a Back Handspring, or Front Handspring; not a Backhand Spring. )

Excellent. thank you. I am in no rush if injuries are at play. If that's the logic at most gyms, I'm all for getting them stronger first. Thanks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back