backhandspring on beam :0

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi. i need help on my back-handspring on beam. mostly on pushing off the beam i always seem to leave my hands on the beam. anything that can help that and how do i get my feet on the beam. any tips or drills i can do? i would like a drill i could do at home. thats so much.

Without seeing it, its hard to say what you really need to work on... What it sounds like, though, since you need help getting your feet on the beam too, you're not square on your take off. Of you try doing a flip flop with your legs or hips out of line, you won't be able to stand up because your body thinks you're wobbly and won't stay up for very long.

Working on your take off and making sure you're in line may help. Make sure you're kicking that lead foot towards the ceiling straight above you, and not just whipping the handspring.

You also may want to practice handstand-stand ups, making sure your hands lead the stand up and not your shoulders (I.e., crown as soon as your hands leave the floor and pull them up to stand).

That's about all I got.. Good luck!

Ryan

I don't have any drills appropriate for home :( I do love me a 8 inch mat for pushing through the shoulder issues on beam though! Drill is simple: Bh starting on the floor, hands contact floor, feet land on the mat. You're going to have to block like crazy to get to a standing position on the mat!

You can draw a 'beam' in chalk on the 8 incher as well if you want to check your landing. If you want to take it further you can chalk your palms to check their positioning on the floor. I'd get to where you can block consistently to the mat first before adding the lines though.

Last edited:
hi. i need help on my back-handspring on beam. mostly on pushing off the beam i always seem to leave my hands on the beam. anything that can help that and how do i get my feet on the beam. any tips or drills i can do? i would like a drill i could do at home. thats so much.

Well, at home or before you get on the beam, try a few backhand springs on a line. This always helps me. And when you are on the beam, just think of yourself as if you are on the floor and do the same thing. What also helps me is I think of the worst thing that can happen, and it seems not so bad. So the next time you are on that beam, think of the worst thing that can happen if you put your feet on!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back