Backhandsprings to Backwalkovers on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GasnGoMum

Hi all! It seems like with each new fear overcome, another one slips into place in this sport:(. My little girl truly loves beam, but has some major fear issues with the backwalkover to backhandspring series on beam. She can do them seperately without a hitch, but is off again/on again on the series on the low beam. We won't even TALK about the medium high or high beam :eek:. She recently announced that she is more comfortable with reversing the sequence---backhandspring to backwalkovers. I don't know the JO Code of Points, and I have always seen gymnasts do the beam series BWO to BHS, so I'm curious if gymnasts are allowed to reverse the sequence? Do they receive lesspoints/greater deductions? I would hate for her to learn something and get comfortable with it,then not be able to compete it for full credit. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

It's an acceptable series (assuming it's connected) fulfilling a requirement for two acro skills, one with flight (okay for L7 and 8). It's not my personal preferences and most coaches would rather stress an accelerating, "punching" connection which is why you usually see a primary focus on the BWO BHS. But it's not unusual to take a long time getting comfortable with series on beam so I'm sure she's on a fine track, even if progressing slowly with her comfort level.

Thanks Gymdog for your update! Both skills look strange when it comes to arranging your feet to prepare for the second part of the series (BWO-BHS, BHS-BWO). I think that's where her fear is coming in to play, because she's not sure how to adjust her landings for the series vs. the individual skill. She has a beautiful well-scoring beam routine now as a L7 with BWO-BWO, but I know it's important to "train up" during your current level. AND she really wants to get over her fear of it before she HAS to have it. I'm glad this is something that takes girls awhile to get comfortable with...I can reassure her that she isn't "weird"! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back