Backwalkover hand placement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can get my hands together, but i just can't get them in the right position. I'm just trying it on one of those flexible beams things, but i can't seem to get to get them in the right place. I guess i'm not really sure exactly how to put them, so i just dont. How exactly should i put my hands, and do you have any tips?

It's hard to tell you hand placement without showing or having pic's....but I'll try to describe what I teach my best...remember every coach has their own preference and your coach may want you to do it a didderent way....
When I teach walkover's on beam I get my athletes to do "backhandspring" hands...one hand is turned in ( the lead hand ) and the second hand is facing forward so that the hands come together to form a " T " shape, this cuts down the possiblity of missing your hands on the beam. Another way to do it is to have both hands turned so that they are facing inwards,( if the hands slip, you will catch yourself on your arms)
Good luck, I hope this helps and makes sense to you!

For back walkovers I typically teach it using the same hand placement as a handstand because esentially is a handstand step down, just the lead into it is different. I've also taught it using a different "backhandspring hands" than CoachLin uses---for this one, one hand is diagonal (turned slightly outward so fingers can grip the beam) and the other hand is placed in front of it facing forwards---this way your front hand/area by wrist can fit into the L shape (made by thum and index finger) of your other hand. Or you could always just put one hand slightly in front of the other.

All in all, you should do what ever hand placement feels most comfortable to you. Some gymnasts lke putting their hands like handstands (but I wouldn't reccommend this for backhandsprings), and some put them as CoachLin described, and some put them as I've described or other ways. Long story short, put them how you feel most comfortable!

butterfly hands for a back walkover....thumbs and wrists together

That's how you describe it---that's what I was trying to say when I said putting them just like a handstand. I never even thought to describe it like a butterfly. Thanks! Would you recommend also using your index fingers? I've always wondered this because I was taught to use my index fingers along with butterfly hands, and I know that some people aren't taught that way. I just always thought that it provided a little more support and balance.

That's how you describe it---that's what I was trying to say when I said putting them just like a handstand. I never even thought to describe it like a butterfly. Thanks! Would you recommend also using your index fingers? I've always wondered this because I was taught to use my index fingers along with butterfly hands, and I know that some people aren't taught that way. I just always thought that it provided a little more support and balance.

Some of my gymnasts use their index fingers. I don't teach it in the beginning, but I do offer it as an option. My girls that use their index fingers have the best handstands.

I think I am going to try and teach some of my younger girls to do it this way and see what they think of it.

I always used my finger--I kind of thought of it as how you use your fingers on the floor to help you hold your handstand. I try to teach it at the beginning, but some kids aren't comfortable doing it, so I don't force them to. I just try to make sure they are comfortable with their hand placement so that they are more willing to be brave.

I thought for the level 6 routine hands had to be like a handstand as Hammy and JBS described. Isn't there a deduction if they're not aligned?

If there is a deduction for "alternative hand placement" how much of a deduction is it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back