WAG Backwalkover problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I'm an xcel silver gymnast and have been doing gymnastics for around 11 months now I can do alot of skills except a backwalkover I just dont understand how to kick up into A split handstand any advice will help

First: can you do a bridge kickover? If not then try doing a bridge with your feet on a block and kicking over from there (lowering the height when you get it consistent at each height). If you can: practice falling to bridge then kicking over, connecting them a bit faster each time. I got my back walkover by practicing that, and once it was consistent I did the bridge with my kickover leg in front, further each time and eventually from one foot (back walkover). Sorry if that made no sense lol but I hope this helps!

First: can you do a bridge kickover? If not then try doing a bridge with your feet on a block and kicking over from there (lowering the height when you get it consistent at each height). If you can: practice falling to bridge then kicking over, connecting them a bit faster each time. I got my back walkover by practicing that, and once it was consistent I did the bridge with my kickover leg in front, further each time and eventually from one foot (back walkover). Sorry if that made no sense lol but I hope this helps!
Yes I can so a bridge kickover and the problem is that when I try to connect going back and the kickover I cant. And yes it did make sense

Can you back bend to bridge, with with one leg raised, with good control? Are you kicking over with correct leg? Eg the one that you raise whilst standing should land on the floor first when you kick over.

Can you back bend to bridge, with with one leg raised, with good control? Are you kicking over with correct leg? Eg the one that you raise whilst standing should land on the floor first when you kick over.
Yes I can backbend with one leg raised up at a 90 degree angle and I can bring it up as I go back. I can do a backbend kickover with my dominant leg raised too

Can you kick over from a bridge with your dominant leg raised to the ceiling, without moving the leg down first?

You are probably forgetting to push through your shoulders when you try to link the leg lifted back bend to the leg lifted kick over.

I think its good because I can push my shoulders over my hands during a backbend kickover
Can you do it with straight legs, hips, and lower back (so that the flexation comes only from your upper spine and shoulders)? If not, that’s a good place to start.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back