Backward pike roll - HELP!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is a L3 gymnast.

Though she works hard at it, she simply cannot get her Backward Pike Roll without bending her arms. If she keeps her arms stright, she gets stuck on her head and falls over sideways.

I have tried to get her to keep her head tucked and drive her hips, but she still has to bend her arms to get over.

I have searched the web for help but everything is about backward rolls or backward extensions (which she actually does fairly well!!).

If anyone can help me out with some advise I would really appreciate it.

My dd just finished level 3. Her coaches say to get your pinkies to the floor as fast as possible, roll fast, shrug your shoulders up to your ears and push thru the floor.

I had read something somewhere about the shoulder shrugging, but have had trouble conveying the idea to my daughter.

Try having her hold her arms up straight, next to her ears with her palms up. Put your hands on top of hers and ask her to keep her arms straight while you push down gently. Put your own arms up straight and shrug, ask her to do it too. Then go back to pushing down on her straight arms, but this time ask her to push back until she shrugs. That has worked best for me when conveying that when a gymnasts hands meet resistance they need to push back rather than bend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back