Backwards roll into a handstand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I'm not sure what this trick is called but you go into a backwards roll and push up to a handstand...Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. It is SO hard for me to get into a handstand from the roll. It just seems like you need an incredible amount of strength.
Any advice?

ya i know what your talking about, its a level 5 skill, i wasnt ever very good at it. a drill to help you is to sit on the ground with your feet straight in front of you and then roll backwards with as much speed as you can get and try to do get into a handstand. after doing that like 10 or 15 times it will seem easier to actually do it

It is called a back extension roll, which is a level 5 AND 6 skill. Once you know how to do them properly, they are really easy! When you are doing them, make sure you keep your arms straight and by your ears! (with your hands turned so your fingers are pointing at each other). There is not a point in this skill where your arms should be bent. Once you roll back, push really hard on the floor with your hands and STAY TIGHT! Then just keep your head in and it is easier to do it in more of a hollower position. It is easier to control that way. There are a lot of really good drills for this. First the very basic one...going down a wedge mat. Second (i don't know if you can understand these two) , get a panel mat. Stand on the floor with the panel mat behind you (long ways). You just do the roll up onto the mat. It is a lot harder than on the floor that way, so it helps with opening your shoulders. Another drill which is easier is stand ON the panel mat and do the skill OFF of the mat. During this drill, your whole body should stay on the panel mat except for your arms. Your shoulders should be on the edge of the mat. This (if you do the back extension roll correctly) is really easy and your body goes straight to a handstand! If you have any ?'s, just private message me :)

This is a back extension roll. The way I teach this skill to my team girls is that:

1) I make sure they have a good straight arm backward roll to a push up

2) I always make sure the hands are turned in

3) When standing in preparation....get your pinkies back as fast as you can going into the skill! If your pinkies are slow hitting the mat or ground...it will not work.

4)Practice on inclines of different size

5) Keep your head in and don't try to push up early or pop your head out in the beg. of the skill.

hope this helps!

Just for nostalgia or anyone new who's interested to know...

Back extension rolls (amongst many other new L5 skills) used to be a L4 skill before the last switch over.

Just for nostalgia or anyone new who's interested to know...

Back extension rolls (amongst many other new L5 skills) used to be a L4 skill before the last switch over.

Thank you! I was a part of that era :) I'm glad someone else remembers. I did back extension rolls as a 4, 5, 6, and 7(pike jump-back extension roll looks really really cool)

And for the record, I wish it were still a level 4 skill. I hate that stupid backward roll to pushup position with a passion.

It's weird now thinking of all the things that have changed.

I had it in level 4 too. I did it in 4 5 6 7 and 8. At pole vaulting my coach asked me to show everyone a back extension roll because she said we should all be able to do them and everyone was really impressed so i ended up doing one for them almost everyday. haha.

Thank you! I was a part of that era :) I'm glad someone else remembers. I did back extension rolls as a 4, 5, 6, and 7(pike jump-back extension roll looks really really cool)

And for the record, I wish it were still a level 4 skill. I hate that stupid backward roll to pushup position with a passion.

It's weird now thinking of all the things that have changed.
I too like the old requirements far more (as recent as 5 to 6 years ago). But, only as a spectator of course.

As compared to the awkward looking backward roll pike to pushup, I hate the stupid L5 bar mount sequence much more.

Maybe there should be a new thread on that topic. It should be fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back