WAG Bad competition nerves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a kid who trains like a rock star, almost always hits during training and constantly getting new skills, but falls apart in competition. She sometimes blanks, usually just executes skills way below her ability. She usually does okay in warm-up, but once I'm not standing there giving her reminders and advice, she's done.

I'm looking for ways to help her with this: how to make her training more high pressure, what to tell her before she competes to calm her down and get her in the right frame of mind etc. She's 9 years old, its her second year competing and she's P2 (about level 6). Any advice from coaches, parents or gymnasts is welcome!

That is what I was going to say^^^ at dd's gym, starting about a week before comps, on each event, they run it just like a comp, warm up, then compete routine, with the whole group sitting down watching, plus anyone who is on break etc. The more pressure the better.

Visualization and "mental choreography" Practice running the key words in her mind during each routine while visualizing the routine, then do it while doing routines. Repeat and repeat… It gives her mind something to focus on during each step and becomes habit to diminish the "going blank" that you describe.

This would be my child. She is seven. Second season. Puts in amazing practices....meets? Not so much. I think this will improve with time. She does better this year with the nerves than last year, but the first event always has the potential to be 'interesting.' I am actually not that concerned with it, I am just glad I know she can pull the stuff off well in practice, because that way at least I know she CAN do it...and she also knows this which will help her continue to gain confidence in her meet performance in the future. She loves meets by the way...but the adrenaline rush is rough. Our coach does the everyone watch thing too and it does make her nervous, but she is definitely doing better with this than she was a few months ago. Remember time is your friend...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back