Parents Bad meet behavior/sore losers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can relate! My DD is not usually top of the podium but I have overheard comments from time to time about her getting scored easier because she is so pretty. It makes me want to scream!! Really? They all look the same to me out there, in fact sometimes I don't know which kid is mine!! LOL. I am also very shy and would prob choose to sit elsewhere rather than end up in a confrontation. But thats just me!!

That is just crazy! But I think you get that everywhere and in all sports. What I don't understand is why an adult can easily rationalize with themselves that it is okay to tear down a child. That is what that is really! I pity people like that.

I think I might just put my mommy up to the task of saying something to her. She was at all 3 meets and couldn't believe this woman. We were talking about it today because we didn't get a chance to talk about it after the meet. I make sure I never, ever discuss these things in front of DD. She listens to everything, even when you think she's sleeping in her carseat. I'll be talking on my phone and think she's alseep in the backseat and then days later she'll repeat something she heard me say. They are sponges! So neither one of us had talked about it until today when we were alone. My mom's attitude was that they are just little kids and she needs to get a grip.
Momma ALWAYS knows best! It's obvious the other woman isn't heeding that sound advice. That is a loss for her. Don't get weighed down by people like that. Smile at all of your DD's accomplishments. I catch myself oohing and ahhing all that my DD does. I just want to 'squeeze' her for even going out there at all! I am simply amazed by her independence!!

Maybe they will get frustrated and leave your gym. I can not imagine a parent acting this way about meet scores. I would not let them deter your daughter from competing level4 in the fall that would just give in to them and if their behavoir continues to act inappropriately and continues to make you feel unconfortable I would mention it to the coaches or the gym owner. They are on the same team you are supposed to be supportive of one another they are showing poor sportsmanship and it will eventually trickle down to their daughter.

When I don't want to sit with these type parents I bring "work" with me and say I am just going to sit over here and get some work done. They always seem fine with it.

Maybe they will get frustrated and leave your gym. I can not imagine a parent acting this way about meet scores. I would not let them deter your daughter from competing level4 in the fall that would just give in to them and if their behavoir continues to act inappropriately and continues to make you feel unconfortable I would mention it to the coaches or the gym owner. They are on the same team you are supposed to be supportive of one another they are showing poor sportsmanship and it will eventually trickle down to their daughter.

We had a mom a few years ago who would LIE about her dd's scores at a meet. She would say she tied for first, or tied with the top scorer!! And then, when it was obvious her dd wouldn't be as good as she claimed her to be, she blamed the owner, and was really rude. Then she decided to leave our gym and made a big show of it being her dd's last practice, acting sorrowful and having lingering hugs with the other parents. *GAG*

She moved her dd to another gym, and stayed on the same level for 2 years, then moved to another gym, and stayed on the next level for 3 years. The girl she kept comparing herself to is now level 8, while she is still level 5. Its the parents that ruin it for the girls. Let the girls progress on their own timetable, and they will be a better gymnast for it.

The other thing I can't stand is when teams get up and leave halfway through the awards. I get that they're long and drawn out. I get that you're tired (I am too, and so is my daughter!!). I also get that once your age group is done, it's "boring".

But guess what? You're selfish, rude, and inconsiderate. And telling your girls it's ok to leave "because the fun part is over" is ridiculous.

We had a mom a few years ago who would LIE about her dd's scores at a meet. She would say she tied for first, or tied with the top scorer!! And then, when it was obvious her dd wouldn't be as good as she claimed her to be, she blamed the owner, and was really rude. Then she decided to leave our gym and made a big show of it being her dd's last practice, acting sorrowful and having lingering hugs with the other parents. *GAG*

She moved her dd to another gym, and stayed on the same level for 2 years, then moved to another gym, and stayed on the next level for 3 years. The girl she kept comparing herself to is now level 8, while she is still level 5. Its the parents that ruin it for the girls. Let the girls progress on their own timetable, and they will be a better gymnast for it.

How do you lie about your DD's scores? I mean if you go to the same gym wouldn't you know the kid's scores? Do you mean she was in a different session and lied about her placements? What purpose would that serve because everyone would find out and then you look like a nut.

How do you lie about your DD's scores? I mean if you go to the same gym wouldn't you know the kid's scores? Do you mean she was in a different session and lied about her placements? What purpose would that serve because everyone would find out and then you look like a nut.

Exactly, LOL! No, they were in the same age group. "A" would get 1st, or 3rd, or a 35 AA, whatever. "B" (the crazy mom's kid) would place lower. But, at the gym the next practice, she could be heard telling parents that her "B" tied with "A" for AA, or whatever event they were talking about. Here's a real excerpt of something she said, (maybe a little paraphrased) "well, "B" [name changed to protect the innocent child] really tied "A" in the All Around, but they placed her lower." [something to that effect] I know, it's insane. I know and you know that scores don't lie, we had the printouts in the office and online, but she said it any way. Then bad-mouthed "A"'s mom to everyone after they left our gym. These girls were only 4 years old (level 3 AAU) at the time, maybe 5.

I'm not making this up! I have seen every kind of gym parent there is, I think. I hope that I am not one of "those moms", I really try to be normal! (I have caught myself talking too much at the gym sometimes, not about gym, but about anything that pops in my head, LOL! Probably because I am alone with a baby all day and crave adult conversation.)

The other thing I can't stand is when teams get up and leave halfway through the awards. I get that they're long and drawn out. I get that you're tired (I am too, and so is my daughter!!). I also get that once your age group is done, it's "boring".

But guess what? You're selfish, rude, and inconsiderate. And telling your girls it's ok to leave "because the fun part is over" is ridiculous.

i forgot about that! ITA!! 2 years ago, my daughter's 4-member level 8 team won a meet for the very first time. We were soooo excited!! I almost cried! But, at awards, they always go in reverse order, 4th place, 3rd place, etc. Well, as each team was announced and got their banner and had their pictures, they walked off the podium and out the door. So by the time our team was announced the winners, the only ones left were us parents. No one to clap or acknowledge our girls except us! I was a little put out, this was the first time my daughter had ever been on a winning team. I mean, we sat through their team announcement, right? At least we could expect the same courtesy. The other thing, they were all so loud leaving and talking and medals clanking, that we could hardly hear the announcer. Why do they announce first place last any way? Doesn't first place deserve to be on the podium the longest, not the shortest amount of time? The 7th place gets to stand there forever. But that's a different rant.... [last year my daughter placed 1st on bars at a very large, competitive meet. She didn't even get to the podium before the announcer said, "Gymnasts, salute." Everyone was walking down before she even got her medal! and I got no pictures :( ]

The other thing I can't stand is when teams get up and leave halfway through the awards. I get that they're long and drawn out. I get that you're tired (I am too, and so is my daughter!!). I also get that once your age group is done, it's "boring

Our girls are not allowed to leave until all awards have been given out. This is huge with our owner. I think it is a great rule to have.

Our girls are not allowed to leave until all awards have been given out. This is huge with our owner. I think it is a great rule to have.

Tracy - same here. Which, when it was discussed, I thought "Well, of course! It would be rude to leave" and then we went to our first meet, and I immediately understood why the owner had to spell it out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back