Bad Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
Eugh guys. I just had a retched practice last night. I was off on everything. The only thing I was doing well was my round off and handstand flat back into the resi pit. When I tried to move it to the high mat, nope, not so much, could barley hit the board let alone get myself up into a handstand. Beam? Yeah not so much, out of seriously 20 tries, I stuck like, 2 cartwheels. Bars? A JOKE. Seemed to have lost the few skills I have developed, and then on my cast, I was leaning too far forward, and started to do a front roll, which, if my coach hadn't caught me, probably would have resulted in me just falling forward and off. Aw well, everyone has a bad practice, and I get to try again today, but I seriously was frustrated last night.

It's OK, Nicci. Everyone has those kinda practices. Maybe your muscles were just tired and were rebelling. Shake it off and go to practice today with a positive attitude. If a skill is frustrating you, don't be ashamed to do some basic moves that lead up to that skill. For your cartwheels on beam, a good drill to make sure it goes over straight, is to just do the first part, arms by the ears, lean over while the leg lifts directly behind you, grab the beam, push off with your hands and return to the stand. Do many in a row. They are harder than they seem but really help you get a solid cartwheel. Also, always think about keeping your belly button OVER the beam no matter what you are doing. If you don't, you'll be off center and will either have a wobble or fall. Cheer up and have a great workout!

the bars cast problem, believe it or not, is a good thing because you need to lean over more to cast higher. It takes time to develop the strength to not collapse, but I bet that happened yesterday while you worked it. I do casts that fall over the bar on purpose all the time just to help build up that strength of leaning over. You're not the only one, I only made one handspring full to my feet yesterday, and fell three times during some of my beam routines! It happens! See you soon :)

Eugh guys. I just had a retched practice last night. I was off on everything. The only thing I was doing well was my round off and handstand flat back into the resi pit. When I tried to move it to the high mat, nope, not so much, could barley hit the board let alone get myself up into a handstand. Beam? Yeah not so much, out of seriously 20 tries, I stuck like, 2 cartwheels. Bars? A JOKE. Seemed to have lost the few skills I have developed, and then on my cast, I was leaning too far forward, and started to do a front roll, which, if my coach hadn't caught me, probably would have resulted in me just falling forward and off. Aw well, everyone has a bad practice, and I get to try again today, but I seriously was frustrated last night.

Its ok Nicci, we all have bad practices. I mentioned a while back how one day everything I did was off too. I went for a roundoff bhs full off tumble track & did a roundoff bhs flop to my stomach and it went downhill from there. I've noticed sometimes its more mental then anything. It seems as if all the hard work in the past was for nothing at the moment but if you just brush it off and "chalk" it up (a little gymnastics humor :)) to a bad day and come back with a fresh outlook you'll do fine at the next practice and you're skills on bars will come right back to you.

Luckily today wasn't as painful as yesterday lol. I even managed to stay up in a handstand for, well it felt like a good 5 minutes, but was probably closer to about 6 seconds. Didn't touch bars today, but was working cartwheels on beam, and seemed to have started to get those back. Plus, I was directed towards doing my cartwheels between two big wedge mats, I think that was more intimidating that doing the cartwheels on a beam! I think I spent about 40 minutes today doing just handstands and cartwheels. Thanks for all the support guys!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back