WAG Baker, Memmel and Sacramone-Quinn new high performance coordinators

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't know much about these roles but having Chellsie involved with anything in USAG leadership is a positive sign.
Agreed, I am not completely clear on Sacramone's role, but Dan will run the camps coordinate with other coaches, etc. He will be the one to interact the most with gymnasts I assume, Memmel will make sure the routine construction maximizes athletes scoring potential (think Suni last olympics) and Sacramone is strategic planning/athlete well being?

I thought I read somewhere that Chelsie will run camps. I'm dubious about the selections based upon coaching credentials. Also, not sure why they're changing from a single coordinator, that system seem to produce a lot of medals.

I thought I read somewhere that Chelsie will run camps. I'm dubious about the selections based upon coaching credentials. Also, not sure why they're changing from a single coordinator, that system seem to produce a lot of medals.

Chellsie is running two adult camps at her family’s gym but they are only three or four days long. They won’t interfere with this job. As a Brevet judge she should be excellent in this role. I don’t know much about Dan and Alicia’s qualifications.

It was a system which got medals but broke their athletes in the process. Athletes over medals.
I know a lot of you will disagree but that's what the system was supposed to do, produce medals. These are elite athletes who have chosen to compete and represent their country. They are free to do recreational gymnastics if they want to.

I know a lot of you will disagree but that's what the system was supposed to do, produce medals. These are elite athletes who have chosen to compete and represent their country. They are free to do recreational gymnastics if they want to.
If that’s the job of HPC why isn’t Martha still in power?

As far as I remember she stepped down as allegations began coming out so she wouldn’t be charged. I may be wrong.
Yes, she must have seen the writing on the wall. So much was coming out about the toxic behavior at camp I really don’t think she had a choice.

I think the issue with one person leading is that problems can easily be covered as we saw with Nasser and all the other abuse issues that have been discovered with one very dominant and controlling leader. I think that with three people involved with team development that the possibility that something getting covered up is less likely. I see this as a very positive approach to a real problem USA gymnastics had concerning physical and mental health developing high level athletes.

I think the issue with one person leading is that problems can easily be covered as we saw with Nasser and all the other abuse issues that have been discovered with one very dominant and controlling leader. I think that with three people involved with team development that the possibility that something getting covered up is less likely. I see this as a very positive approach to a real problem USA gymnastics had concerning physical and mental health developing high level athletes.
Yes. This is what I was implying in my previous post about transparency and accountability, but you said it much more eloquently here. :)

That is a valid point.

I also think that it proved impossible to find a person who was good at all aspects of the job: overseeing camps, liaising with coaches, nurturing athletes, optimising routine composition, representing to media (this is where Tom was shocking), etc., all while having a spotlessly clean vest from past abuse issues. Chellsie is going to do a great job at making sure that gymnasts have routines which minimise built-in deductions, but maybe wouldn't be the greatest administrator, and might not be the person to give pre- and post-competition interviews. (This is just an example, she might be great at those things, I don't know.)

I just read another article on Alicia and Chellsie in their new roles. When Chellsie was competing, she was known to do different/unusual skills. I hope that she can bring some variety and innovation to the US routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back