Balance fairies please!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
I feel sick! one of my gymnasts her National Grade 8 competition in the morning and, if you follow British Gymnastics at all, you will know about something called Range and Conditioning! Well, for part of it she has to do backward walkover to split handstand - hold for 2 sloooooow seconds, join legs and pike down, then pike back up again, hold for 2 sloooooow seconds, half pirouette, split handstand and step down. I know she can do it, but it hasn't been going well recently and she went home crying last night because she was frustrated with herself :( The problem is the 2 second holds. She can do everything else just really seems to be struggling with these. She needs to score 9 on this event (our of 13.5 provided everything counts!) Not so difficult you might think? But if she doesn't hold those handstands for 2 seconds, she loses 0.5. If she falls out of one it is 1 whole mark etc - you know how these things add up!

Anyway I am rambling - Please please send good luck our way and a few balance fairies if they can be spared!

Thanks!!!

I love seeing the range and conditioning videos on youtube--such amazing strength, flexibility and balance it takes---I wish they had that in the states. Anyway, sending all the "balance" and "squeeze tight" fairies your way!!! Tell her to relax and breathe and she will do fine!!

Poor baby. I hope she is able to get out of her own head tomorrow. Sending all the balance and 2 send hold fairies her way. Keep us posted on how it goes. Tell her she has people all over the world pulling for her.

Thanks for the luck! She did really well! Scored 10.95 on range with 1 fall - She did the bwo to split handstand amazingly, then even controlled the pike down! Piked up really nicely then couldn't quite hold her balance for the half pirouette so that counted as a fall and of course lost the 0.5 value of move as she was required to show the pirouette AND 2 second handstand. But hey ho! She did the first move beautifully! She continued on to do the rest of the routine really nicely.

Range was the last event of the day, so what went before? - Vault - Nice considering she is so tiny (vault is set at 120 and she is smaller than it!) score 11.15. Bars - 2 lovely warm ups, then fell on the squat on during the real thing! Score 10.25 (not a happy gymmie after that - she really beat herself up about that fall!) Beam - fell on full spin, (burst into tears!) but stuck everything else - nailed her dismount! Score 10.15 Floor - Lovely routine, but very harsh scoring I felt, but I guess that was because there was such a lot packed in and little deductions build up - No major errors, score 8.8 (Everyone in our group scored 9 or below so it was just tough judging I guess)

So a total score of 51.3 - not enough to make the national final, but that is fine by me! It was a mentally draining comp, mostly because the little one really piles the pressure on herself and beats herself up when she makes mistakes - It was really difficult to get her to forget about the mistakes and focus on the next event - I think it was because Range was last and that was the one she was most worried about - When it was over she was all smiles!

So thank you for the fairies - I'll send them back now and maybe exchange them for the straight armed kip fairies for tomorrow's gymnast?

Marie

Glad she passed her grade. It is very hard when they really only have one shot at the level. THe US system means they get to go out so often to strut their stuff and they can make mistakes without huge issues. The R&C really sorts out the great gymnasts, I think if they had it here my kids would've been out of the sport even sooner!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back