Ballet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Awesome! Thanks flexiballetgirl!!!! My dd takes ballet in addition to the gymnastics--she has been doing ballet about a year. So far it has really helped her floor and beam routines. I will definitely keep you in mind if I have any questions!! Welcome to the CB!!!

Hi there, flexiballetgirl. Great to have you on board! I come from a ballet background too. Hey, is a saut de chat a grande jete that starts with a developpe instead of a battement? It's been a while since I danced and I can't seem to remember. A friend of mine kept saying it looks like a pas de chat landing in fondu but I don't remember learning that ever. It is a jete with developpe take-off right?

Hi Flexiballetgirl! I have a question regarding Pointe. How many years of regular ballet should one take before they can start taking classes in Pointe? I was thinking my dd may want to get into that or at least take a class and try it out.

I know I'm not the one being asked, but I'm going to answer anyway! Getting en pointe isn't about years in ballet so much as it's about other things. Good, consistent turnout, developed foot arch, and strong ankles being the 3 biggest factors. Personally speaking at my school we weren't allowed to wear pointe shoes the whole class until we did 6 months- a year of barre work only. Also we had to be in 5-8 hours of dance weekly. That was for a Kirov method school and was considered strict by my former schools standards, it varies by method and school. Turnout, arch, and ankle strength should matter universally or you're risking injury to tie up the pretty shoes.

Linsul is right, in some cases a person who starts late can go on pointe faster than a child. This is because a late starter will work more diligently and put in more hours. I also believe that no mater how good a child is she shouldn't start pointe until she is 10 or 11. Some studios are more strict about pointe and have tests, other studios have pre-pointe classes. I would have your dd in class for at least a year before she decides if she wants to continue because pointe shoes are not cheap. Also talk to her teacher about her goals (for fun, to help w/ gym., or getting serious). Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions let me know.

Yeah, it depends a lot upon ankle strength, leg strength, most places wont allow pointe until about 11 like ballet said, and yes, they are ridiculously expensive, especially when you are going through a pair a month-or less(I paid a minimum of 45 for mine through a discount website), but I started pointe after 6 months of training, but I was also dancing 10+ hours a week

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I was just curious about the pointe training. The good thing about gymnastics is that they already have the ankle and leg strength from all the gym time. DD just turned 10 and has been doing ballet a little over a year. She has great lines for ballet and she is very flexible, so it is something to think about if she is interested. I really love classic ballet and think that is is such a beautiful art form.

Hey flexiballetgirl,

Just curious how you find the time to do both ballet and gymnastics.

Currently I am just a fan of gymnastics. I took a few classes when I was little and I still take them during the summer. Dance takes up my time. I dance 5 days a week along whith being a teaching assistent.

Yeah, I hear you. It's too bad, the sport of gymnastics could surely benefit from a resurgence on the artistic side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I was just curious about the pointe training. The good thing about gymnastics is that they already have the ankle and leg strength from all the gym time. DD just turned 10 and has been doing ballet a little over a year. She has great lines for ballet and she is very flexible, so it is something to think about if she is interested. I really love classic ballet and think that is is such a beautiful art form.

I absolutely love pointe! I have been taking it for about 4 months now in ballet at school and I just can't seem to get enough. The ankle strength and leg strength has absolutely helped. Definitely keep it in mind! It hurts like crazy the first couple times you put the shoes on, but it's worth it to look in the mirror and see those shoes on your feet. Haha. Ballet is just so beautiful. I just love it. And I am so incredibly blessed to be able to go to a school that offers dance classes every day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back