Parents Banners for team awards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mamaplum

Proud Parent
So our gym's booster club is hosting a small invitational meet. We have handed out team trophies in years past but in our area it seems the trend has moved to vinyl banners.

My question how big should these banners be? I would assume about 2x3? I would measure but ours are all up and would take to much to get up that high to measure lol.

Definitely bigger than that. I'm thinking if my DD holding one up. At 7 years old it went from her toes to her chin (and she isn't short, actually tall for her age) and her arms werant long enough to hold it straight. I'm going to guess at least a 4x3...

What on earth do gyms do with all this stuff?
Our gym hangs up all the first place banners (we have a lot of them because the gym has been around for 30-ish years so they're going to run out of space!).

Not sure what happens to the others....

Our gym also displays them on the walls. They include all the current years. Banners seem to be a new thing around here. The gym has so many trophies there is no where to put them. At least old banners can be rolled up.

Banners are cool -- when the boys win one, they all sign it at the first practice after the meet, and then it gets hung up. Trophies are briefly displayed in the entrance area right after the meet, and then are added to the cluttered collections on most random surfaces in the gym area. (The boys' current ones are all on a folding table back in the boys' gym.)

By tradition, if anyone hasn't won a medal at a meet, that child brings the team banner/trophy home and returns it to the gym.

When meet season starts, as rec parents enter the gym with their children, they see hung up in the entry hallway large posters with (good) meet results -- a list of all the gymnasts who competed, any placements (boys' coach allows only placements above 6th), any individual event scores above 9 for girls, and AA scores. The gym also displays a poster with all state event and AA champions, all regional event and AA champions, and any national medals for the entire year. This, in addition to the display of banners and team trophies, is a means of using team to enhance the gym's reputation.

All very interesting. Here a banner would only be from a provincial meet for first place. Amazing how different the systems are.

At our gym, if a team wins a trophy or a banner, the highest scoring girl gets to keep it. (at subsequent meets in that season, if same girl scores, the next girl gets to keep it).

Our girls much prefer trophies over banners to bring home, but DD wouldn't give up her two banners :)

Ask me how long I had the shakes when our HC/Gym owner admitted to THROWING AWAY TROPHIES. That's like tossing advertising in the dumpster. He has since seen the error of his way. :)

Most of the banners we give and get are in the 3'x4' range. I think most of our local gyms have gone to banners.

Most meets we've been to do the banners, although we have been to a couple that do trophies. At our old gym, the coach would choose the hardest worker at the meet to take the trophy home. This year we just got our first banner and I'm not sure who it went home with but they all come back to the gym to hang on the walls it appears. Old gym used to have the girls sign the banner as well.

One place where we have gone to open gym, they hang them on the walls ... and the rafters. They have several rows of banners.
100_2107.jpg
They also have shelves with trophies on two of the walls.

They collect dust until they are given away. I hate them. The only ones we hang are state meet banners and above. Trophies get displayed for the season and then sent home with the girls at the end of the season.

They collect dust until they are given away. I hate them. The only ones we hang are state meet banners and above. Trophies get displayed for the season and then sent home with the girls at the end of the season.

Seems a shame. The kids work so hard I bet they would love to see the results displayed in their gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back