Bar changes: High to Low

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This year for High school competitions I am going to do a optional routine.
The requirements are:

Four Bs
1 C
B dismount (or B turn, B release, etc)
2 bar changes

I got my cast handstand yesterday and also Giants.

For my routine my Bs will be
Giant
Giant
Clear Hip

I do not have a C

B dismount will be a layout half (which should count for my 4th B)

One bar change will be low to high so toe circle jump to high bar

I now need a simple bar change to go from High to low... any ideas?

With the skill set as described (i.e just getting cast handstand and giants yesterday) , I can't imagine that a baille will be attainable at this point. Maybe a back straddle... or maybe just take the hit in start value and do the rest of the routine clean.

This is really something you may want to discuss with your coach. They may have a few good suggestions for you.

In high school, straddle backs are common, as well as bails. They are fairly easy if the coach can spot you/drill it right. If you are looking for unique, then you may have to consider an investment skill - both of the above are investment skills, but can be caught without a handstand. If you have the time and a dedicated coach, talk about working for a pak or something else for the long run. Depending on when your competitions start, I would advise you clean up what you have and stick with it. As is, depending on form, etc.. You're probably gonna go mid 7s to low 8s. If you are a freshman, that's pretty good. Even as a sophomore.

Consider the long term and talk it over with your coach. It all really comes down to their experience and what they are comfortable teaching you.

the spelling is "bail". it's not named after anyone, so not a noun. thanks,

Talk to your coach, obviously, but what about a dropdown? Once upon a time they were common...get a decent swing and drop from the high bar to the low bar to a glide. You end up facing away from the high bar, so you'd have to do a half pirrouette or switch kip to face the high bar again, but it's a fairly easy transition if you catch in the right place, the mental bit isn't too bad, & it looks neat without being intimidating to try.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back