Coaches Bar Dismount help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Please share positive experiences of helping a gymnast get over the fear of pulling in on a tuck double back. She had a nice one, but got injured after "pulling in." I did not see the funky dismount to know what went wrong, but it was an isolated bad one. She had no history of doing this in the past. Now she overcompensates by letting go early to get away from the high bar. We do not have a belt or resi landing and she's lost her confidence. She's too tall for spotting to be helpful.

I had a double layout kid hit the bar and is now back to normal. Took a long time... but it was just back to the basics. Layout flyaways from a tap swing... from a kip cast... and from giants until everything was looking good again. We use the back slap method (Al Fong method) for timing... works well...

I had a double layout kid hit the bar and is now back to normal. Took a long time... but it was just back to the basics. Layout flyaways from a tap swing... from a kip cast... and from giants until everything was looking good again. We use the back slap method (Al Fong method) for timing... works well...

I'm not sure the back slap would help when she knows she's releasing early, but is afraid not to! Would you recommend tap swings to a double to a mat over the pit for a tuck double? Or just a tuck-open to her back?

I'm not sure the back slap would help when she knows she's releasing early, but is afraid not to! Would you recommend tap swings to a double to a mat over the pit for a tuck double? Or just a tuck-open to her back?

I would not recommend a tuck position for any of the drills... all layout flyaways. We stay away from the tuck as much as possible when having a fear issue such as this as the tuck becomes an instinctive fear position many times and causes more crashes. We spot all of the layouts until they are able to do them high enough to land without fear of hitting the bar. We stack blocks or use the spotting platform by the pit bar to put the coach about shoulder height with the bar (maybe a bit higher depending on the height of the flyaway). That way the coach can aggressively hold the gymnast off the bar if they pull in.

Once everything is fixed using a single layout flyaway... then we would move to high layouts to the back into loose foam or on a soft resi landing. Once they can do that... then we would move to the double tuck again (usually over loose foam so they can flip slow and soft). We would again be spotting the double like stated above so we can aggressively hold the athlete off the bar if something goes wrong.

Once we are back to normal... we would then continue to spot using the back slat method to keep the flyaway where it needs to be.

At any point... if even one flyaway pulls in (even a little bit)... they are required to go back and do some sort of single layout to prove that they can distance themselves from the bar properly.

I would not recommend a tuck position for any of the drills... all layout flyaways. We stay away from the tuck as much as possible when having a fear issue such as this as the tuck becomes an instinctive fear position many times and causes more crashes. We spot all of the layouts until they are able to do them high enough to land without fear of hitting the bar. We stack blocks or use the spotting platform by the pit bar to put the coach about shoulder height with the bar (maybe a bit higher depending on the height of the flyaway). That way the coach can aggressively hold the gymnast off the bar if they pull in.

Once everything is fixed using a single layout flyaway... then we would move to high layouts to the back into loose foam or on a soft resi landing. Once they can do that... then we would move to the double tuck again (usually over loose foam so they can flip slow and soft). We would again be spotting the double like stated above so we can aggressively hold the athlete off the bar if something goes wrong.

Once we are back to normal... we would then continue to spot using the back slat method to keep the flyaway where it needs to be.

At any point... if even one flyaway pulls in (even a little bit)... they are required to go back and do some sort of single layout to prove that they can distance themselves from the bar properly.
Thanks, makes sense!

Reactions: JBS
Thanks, makes sense!

What arm position do you use for the layout to the back? Do you keep their arms to their ears or do they close their shoulders midway?

What arm position do you use for the layout to the back? Do you keep their arms to their ears or do they close their shoulders midway?

We don’t really focus on that unless there is an issue (pulling in hard).

They all drop their arms.

The biggest advice I can give you with meet season starting (and my biggest mistake from the past)… scratch bars if the dismount is not ready.

The biggest advice I can give you with meet season starting (and my biggest mistake from the past)… scratch bars if the dismount is not ready.

I agree. I think she'll have to scratch in January, but could be good to go again in February.

Reactions: JBS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back