WAG bar release moves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ascarter1

Proud Parent
Just curious....

Is there a list that shows "easiest to most difficult" (if that's a real thing)?

And when did your DD's start training them?

And when can they compete said release moves?

And any other "need to know" info...

Thanks!

Don't have a list.

Initial release skills usually Level 8.

Other info - DO NOT watch them train these skills; it will lead to YOU having severe stress. I made the mistake of being at the gym one day when Lvl 8s were starting to do a high bar to low bar release; they are supposed to catch the low bar with their hands (obviously) but I saw a girl catch it with her chin. Yes she was spotted, but still she caught her chin on the low bar. DO NOT watch. Oh, and expect new bruises in places she never had them before. Have I said not to watch practice?

Good Luck

Girls start with releases that go from bar to bar (straddle back, shoot half). Those are bad. Single rails (which is where the boys start) are worse, IMHO.

Strongly agreed with MeetDirector's advice. If a child of yours starts talking about single rail releases, I also recommend not googling videos. Though I will say that watching my son do drills in a spotting belt for what he's hoping will be this year's release was pure comedy gold. [Memo to self: bump up contribution to boys' coaches' holiday gift this year.]

Congratulations. Be sure to thank the gymnastics gods for giving your child life, sustaining her, and enabling you to raise your blood pressure.

In my experience, most L8s are not competing releases. However, I think it's VERY helpful if they are training them. We have some L8s with poor/no pirouette and they competed releases because the requirement was a 180 turn OR release. As MeetDirector said -- do not watch. Mine got a black eye and emergency trip to the dentist to show for learning release moves. :eek: Releases (bar change - not single bar) are (in my view) must haves for L9.

I have a somewhat related release question: is a single bar release a must have for L10 or will a nice mix of front giants and piroutteing skills substitute for no single bar? I don't think it's a SR for L10, but there might be another deduction.

DD, lv 8, has worked on release from low to high and high to low but she is starting gienger drills. I know that she will not be competing them anytime soon but I was just curious as to the process. I am thankful that they are up-training...I think.

Our gym starts working high to low releases (drills) beginning level 7 to be competition ready by level 9 - they include mostly bails and a few paks. Then starting around levels 8 or 9 they do drills for single bar releases (if the kid will do tkatchevs they do tkatchev taps, bounce bar, etc. if the kid will do jaegers then they work the blind changes and swing halfs and plenty of front giants). Some also start shaposh drills at this point, too. Toe hecht and stalder hecht are last resort if they are going level 10 and don't have their two release skills.

Oh, doing a good gienger or tkachev takes a loooong time. My son's doing tramp timers for this stuff but I don't expect either to make it into his high bar routine until he hits L10 in two years. He did vault catch last year and this year is hoping for Voronin, Markelov, or Yamawaki. I expect, however, to see a better vault catch. :D But keep in mind that the progressions are pretty different for the boys -- they tend to learn front and back giants pretty close to the same time, and you see blind changes beginning at L8.

My daughter's been working shoot halfs off and on for a few years but has had some setbacks on bars. If all goes well, she will amp up the training next summer in preparation for L9 and have the shoot half in her L9 routine. She had a L8 teammate who really struggled with the pirouette but got her straddle back pretty quickly, so she competed that, but it was a very unusual routine.

I don't have much to contribute other than knowing my level 8 is doing overshoots (by doing I mean beginning to train them). It must be the easiest if its the first she's working, huh? (That is a release right? LOL. And is it the same thing as what some call a bail?)

Agree with what everyone said here. L7 - L8 working drills and learning actual skills to compete bail or pak and uphill for L9. L9 perfecting bail/pak/uphill and drilling single bar releases. L10 first year - my DD competed bars without a single rail and had a great season, finished 2nd place at NIT on bars, but she had lots of connected circling elements (Stalder to blind or something, front giant to front stalder too). Trained tkachev, jaeger and shaposh that season and competed jaeger year 2.

How long has it generally taken those who have their single releases to go from first getting them, to catching them consistently?

For us, girls started about 1-2 months ago, one girl has her bail with no mats and can do her whole routine......not pretty yet.
The rest are still on mats over the bars, but close......
It will take a while I guess, with a couple getting them quick, and others taking a very long time.

I don't have much to contribute other than knowing my level 8 is doing overshoots (by doing I mean beginning to train them). It must be the easiest if its the first she's working, huh? (That is a release right? LOL. And is it the same thing as what some call a bail?)

I have found this release move process to be one of the more complex to understand because there are a lot of progressions. When girls put giants between the bars, there's a natural tendency to jump to "my DD/DS has giants". However, those giants may bent arms, an arch, or bent knees -- they "have" giants but haven't perfected them. Bar release skills have the same progression principle except on steroids. Our girls start doing low bar swing drills for release moves even at L7. Then there are lots of progressions between the bars involving mats of all sizes. Once they have a consistent swing from a cast, then they make the cast swing higher. And then out of a pirouette. It's on and on. Connected skills are really important in L9/10, so one goal may be to get the releases connected to skills that get bonus. This takes time. A bail that lands on the low bar above horizontal is fine (no deduction), but it's a lot harder to get it to handstand (which means bonus). I am simplifying this a little bit but hopefully you get the idea.

All I can say is be prepared to hold your breathe every meet when they're swinging releases. Thank goodness most bar routines are less than 30 seconds.

How long has it generally taken those who have their single releases to go from first getting them, to catching them consistently?

Forever.
dd caught first Jaeger the summer prior to L9 season, would then occasionally catch one, then stopped working them on a regular basis for a few months during comp season (Which was also after hitting feet and falling on back of neck- I agree with above poster, do NOT watch training!). She began catching them with some consistency the following fall (so about a year from catching first one). A teammate who worked Geingers was able to finally catch 3 in one day after working them and drilling for about a year, but then quit before they ever became consistent.

My DD is a 1st year lvl 10. She started training her geinger on and off 2 years ago. She caught it without a spot for the first time this summer and just moved it over to regulation this past week. She's hitting about 50% She's hoping to be able to actually compete it late season.

My older dd does jaegers and it took about 8 months from the first catch on a single rail until she could catch consistently in a routine. My younger dd caught her Ray (toe on tkatchev) the first day she tried it by herself back in April but still isn't even trying it on the double set. As someone else said... it feels like forever!

DD started doing Jaeger drills about six months before she started Pak drills. Those are the only two she has ever worked.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back