WAG Bars B Skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

haileyyy

Gymnast
A little background: I’ve been Xcel Gold for 3 years and could’ve moved up to Platinum 2 years ago if it wasn’t for bars (I don’t have a kip - embarrassing I know lol). But I’m getting close to my kip and definitely don’t want to do 4 years of a level since 3 is already unusual enough, so I’ll almost definitely be competing Platinum next year.
Like I said, I think I'll be able to do decently well on every event except bars. I need a kip as well as a B skill. I just don't know what B skill to do. My coach says I'm close to my clear hip, but I really don't feel like I am, and I don't want to rely on that because of the kip out of it (since my kip probably won't be great since I will have just recently gotten it, and I'm 5'6 so I can see myself hitting my feet on the ground). Giants are really scary for me, and I don't see that being an option.
The only other B skills I know of are cast handstands (which seems to be the most feasible option right now, but I'm hesitant to rely on those because of the chance that I could either not make it to handstand or make it to handstand and fall over), kips with a turn (which I don't think would work for obvious reasons), and certain dismounts (but I have a huge mental block on any type of flyaways - when I do them, they're fine, but I can rarely get myself to).
I have a toe hecht, but it's inconsistent and kind of ugly, and I really struggle to do anything out of it. And since it's a C skill, I'm not even sure if it's allowed in Platinum. There's also the option of just not including a B skill and taking the 9.7 start value (or would it be 9.5?), but I really don't want to do that because bars has always been my best scoring event.
Does anyone know of any other B skills or have any suggestions? I know this is a conversation I should have with my coach, but we have talked about it, and we're both a little stuck. I'm sorry this was so long, and I hope I don't come off as having a bad attitude, I'm just trying to be honest & realistic. Any feedback would be very appreciated!

-it would be 9.7 SV without the B(it's not a special requirement)
-correct, can't do C's like a toe hecht in Platinum(except for clear hip handstand)
-Uprise is a common B you didn't mention(and giants)
-if you have a toe hecht, can you do a toe-on/toe-off circle? doesn't have to go to handstand, just clear support(and handstand would be a C and not allowed anyways)

-it would be 9.7 SV without the B(it's not a special requirement)
-correct, can't do C's like a toe hecht in Platinum(except for clear hip handstand)
-Uprise is a common B you didn't mention(and giants)
-if you have a toe hecht, can you do a toe-on/toe-off circle? doesn't have to go to handstand, just clear support(and handstand would be a C and not allowed anyways)
Thank you for the suggestion! I didn’t know that it was possible to do a toe on/toe off without a handstand. I’ll mention that to my coach and see what she thinks!

Thank you for the suggestion! I didn’t know that it was possible to do a toe on/toe off without a handstand. I’ll mention that to my coach and see what she thinks!
Yep! Don't think everyone knows that, just like a clear hip, a stalder or toe-on/toe-off circle can be done to any height in clear support to get a B. Good luck!

Also, wanted to add, forgot they added stalder handstand and toe-on handstand as allowable C's at platinum in addition to the clear hip!

I know kip can be a very frustrating skill on bars, and it can take many girls a long time to master it, but no matter what pathway you take, it is going to be very difficult to progress on bars without it. Even if you start playing with other B skills, keep working the kip.

Can you do a chin up pullover on high bar? Series of chin ups? Leg lifts to touch the top with straight legs. If not you likely lack the strength to do a kip. If this is the case strength will be an issue with most B skills. Talk to your coach about what you can do to develop the strength needed.

What is your glide swing like? What about your front hip circle? Issues with these skills, may indicate a technique problem, which could be holding you back.

Are you doing a straddle glide into your kip, at 5’6” with developing strength you will likely find this significantly easier.

If your coach says you are close to your clear hip ... but you are worried about having to kip out of it, don't be. Just do the clear hip on the high bar directly into your dismount. And you have other good suggestions above for other B skills :) Good luck.

I know kip can be a very frustrating skill on bars, and it can take many girls a long time to master it, but no matter what pathway you take, it is going to be very difficult to progress on bars without it. Even if you start playing with other B skills, keep working the kip.

Can you do a chin up pullover on high bar? Series of chin ups? Leg lifts to touch the top with straight legs. If not you likely lack the strength to do a kip. If this is the case strength will be an issue with most B skills. Talk to your coach about what you can do to develop the strength needed.

What is your glide swing like? What about your front hip circle? Issues with these skills, may indicate a technique problem, which could be holding you back.

Are you doing a straddle glide into your kip, at 5’6” with developing strength you will likely find this significantly easier.
I can do those things, but I definitely think strength could still be an issue. I think I could still do a kip with the strength I have, but more would make it a lot easier, and I could do it with better form. I could also see how technique would be an issue - my glide swing is okay, but I don't have a front hip circle. I think it's a combination of things that are making it so hard, but everyone tells me that the main problem with my kip is that I don't shift my hands. And yes, I do a straddle, which definitely does make it easier like you said.

If your coach says you are close to your clear hip ... but you are worried about having to kip out of it, don't be. Just do the clear hip on the high bar directly into your dismount. And you have other good suggestions above for other B skills :) Good luck.
That's a good idea! I do worry about kipping up to the high bar, but if I can get that, that would definitely be something to consider.

Developing your front hip circle will help because the focus is on the shift of the hands. Also when you do your series of glide swings work on regrasping the bar at the back between each glide. If you can do a series of 5 glide swings with a reg rasp on each then you should be able to kip.

Usually I would never recommend learning a kip on high bar until you have learned your glide kip on low. Because the kip on high bar is often somewhat easier, as you use the swing to get into it. That is why most coaches teach the glide kip on low first, it is harder so it has to be done correctly, learning it properly the first time will make it easier to learn other kips later. But for a kid who really struggles sometimes it helps to work the high bar kip first.

That's a good idea! I do worry about kipping up to the high bar, but if I can get that, that would definitely be something to consider.
In Platinum, you only need 1 kip. IF you can get the low bar kip and a long hang pullover on the high bar, you could do the clear hip without a high bar kip. Or you can do a pullover on the low bar and a kip on high bar ... or a kip on low bar and uprise on high bar. Lots of options.

Developing your front hip circle will help because the focus is on the shift of the hands. Also when you do your series of glide swings work on regrasping the bar at the back between each glide. If you can do a series of 5 glide swings with a reg rasp on each then you should be able to kip.

Usually I would never recommend learning a kip on high bar until you have learned your glide kip on low. Because the kip on high bar is often somewhat easier, as you use the swing to get into it. That is why most coaches teach the glide kip on low first, it is harder so it has to be done correctly, learning it properly the first time will make it easier to learn other kips later. But for a kid who really struggles sometimes it helps to work the high bar kip first.
Honestly I hadn't even thought about how a front hip circle would be helpful. That makes it make more sense that shifting my hands is what I struggle with since I haven't really worked on front hip circles. I'll definitely try to focus on those more and try glide swings with regrasping the bar.

In Platinum, you only need 1 kip. IF you can get the low bar kip and a long hang pullover on the high bar, you could do the clear hip without a high bar kip. Or you can do a pullover on the low bar and a kip on high bar ... or a kip on low bar and uprise on high bar. Lots of options.
That's a good point! Somehow I hadn't even thought of that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back