Coaches Bars drills for athlete with injured wrist

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coachAJ

Coach
one of my athletes who is training level 6 has been having wrist pain when doing backhand springs, so we are taking a few weeks off of weight bearing on her hands. The only thing she is allowed to do on bars is swings. Today we did:
-swings/giants on steel bar
-tap swings on HB
-flyaway from tap swings (with belt)
-glide swing and toes to bar drills
-some non handstand/cast-oriented conditioning like tuck ups and candles
-drills for toe on and stalder (swinging under bar in toe-on/stalder position)
-inverted hang position for free hip
-challenged her to see how long she could stand on the low bar for (I was really running out of ideas lol)

I know it sounds like a lot when it’s all written down but it went by SO quickly! And that was with lots of breaks in between turns. I need more ideas lol! Preferably fun stuff as she was bored and missed doing “real” bars. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Anything for cast handstands on elbow stand! If you have a cast handstand trainer or air barrel, cast drills on elbow support with those. Straddle press to handstand on elbow stand / headstand.

Feet on barrel or fitness ball and leaning backwards and forwards feet on the barrel and elbows on the elevated surface like a block.

Front giant swings on strap bar.

All kind of complex work on strap bar, like:

5 tap swings
5 tap swings for front giants
5 stalder swings (starting from the back swing)
5 tap swings
5 toe on swings (starting from the back swing)

Hanging blind changes / blind fulls

Anything for cast handstands on elbow stand! If you have a cast handstand trainer or air barrel, cast drills on elbow support with those. Straddle press to handstand on elbow stand / headstand.

Feet on barrel or fitness ball and leaning backwards and forwards feet on the barrel and elbows on the elevated surface like a block.

Front giant swings on strap bar.

All kind of complex work on strap bar, like:

5 tap swings
5 tap swings for front giants
5 stalder swings (starting from the back swing)
5 tap swings
5 toe on swings (starting from the back swing)

Hanging blind changes / blind fulls
Love the elbow stand idea! And I can’t believe I didn’t think of blind changes lol! Thank you!

Have they been to the doctor? And get them into tiger paws going forward.

Have they been to the doctor? And get them into tiger paws going forward
She’s been wearing tiger paws on vault and floor for the last few months (most of our optionals do). They haven’t been able to get a doctors appointment yet but are working on it. They have been seeing a physiotherapist and luckily PT doesn’t think it’s anything serious, just wants to do a few sessions with her to “realign” things over the next few weeks and strengthen it.

She’s been wearing tiger paws on vault and floor for the last few months (most of our optionals do). They haven’t been able to get a doctors appointment yet but are working on it. They have been seeing a physiotherapist and luckily PT doesn’t think it’s anything serious, just wants to do a few sessions with her to “realign” things over the next few weeks and strengthen it.
My daughters wrist issues started with BHSs on beam. She wears tiger paws on all events except bars. And any wrist issues that do crop up start on beam for her until this day.

My daughters wrist issues started with BHSs on beam. She wears tiger paws on all events except bars. And any wrist issues that do crop up start on beam for her until this day.
Thank you for this comment — I believe beam may be a potential cause for my athlete too since she’s been training BHS there up until her recent wrist issues. I try to limit the number of BHS and pounding we are doing on all events but unfortunately these things can still happen sometimes. HC has never suggested tiger paws on beam but I will bring this up to him. I’ve never seen any of our girls wear them on beam here but I can’t see him having a problem with her doing so.

I have had several girls with wrist issues and they all wear tiger paws on beam. It took some time to get used to it but they are doing fine now

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back